Go Bottom

Concrete Salt Etching

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-04-30          162406

The garage floor at my rental house is a ranch style home with two car garage that was built in 1970. There is a large crack going diagonally across it and where both cars are parked, the salt residue has caused the concrete to spall and chip away in small flakes.

I'm sure a contractor could cut out a section of the cracked area and repair it, but it would leave a witness mark where the old and new merge.

Was wondering if there is a thick epoxy paint or something like that, that is gap filling or will cover or hid the blemishes in both the crack area and the spalling?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Concrete Salt Etching

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-04-30          162408

That's asking a bit much of any paint. And fixing a structural defect is asking a bit much of a renter.

There are various concrete repair products, but none will be invisible (THAT'S where the paint comes in). And the question is how to prepare for the application. And if the pressures that caused the cracking are going to continue, a flexible product might be in order.

I'd mention to the owner that they might want to know about this, because if not attended to, you're concerned for their property value that it could get worse. And let them ignore it or deal with it. ....

Concrete Salt Etching

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-04-30          162409

There were a series of cracks ranging from 1/8" to 1/4" in the poured slab floor of our basement. They poured it on the hottest day of the year and didn't take any steps to keep it wet so it cured too fast. Near the end of the one year warranty period we had the concrete contractor come out and patch the cracks. He used a hard patch compound that didn't match in color and a year later all the patches cracked just like before. This experience tells me that the only patch compound that has any chance of holding would need to be a flexible compound.

Concrete Salt Etching

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2009-04-30          162418

Try a self leveling polyurethane concrete crack sealent - it wont be invisible (but nothing will - you have structural movement). Looks professional and is extremely hard wearing. It's soft by the way ....

Link:   

Click Here

Concrete Salt Etching

View my Photos
yooperpete

2009-04-30          162419

Auerbach:

I own the rental house and my renters are moving out after 10 years. A good chance that my daughter may move in. Just wanted to fix it up nicer for her. Some people put tile floors in the garage and I've heard of large garage rubber mats. I may go the rubber mat direction to coverup the spalling.

I agree, whatever patching that would be done would need to be flexible. That's asking allot! ....

Concrete Salt Etching

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-04-30          162420

Interlocking garage tiles might be a solution. Here's a link to one brand but if you google on "interlocking garage tiles" there are a bunch of different types available. ....

Link:   FloorJunkies

Concrete Salt Etching

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-04-30          162430

Costco (ours anyway) stocks vinyl (I think) garage flooring rolls. It's something like 10'X 12', gray, and sort of diamond-stud patterned, looking like non-slip metal sheeting. ....

Concrete Salt Etching

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-04-30          162431

Once concrete spalls it continues until it turns to gravel. The spalling was likely caused by the concrete setting up while it was "hot" from the truck, and they added water to slow the curing which caused microscopic cracks and eventual disintegration.

If it's uneven or sinking, I'd have "concrete jacked" or "mud jacked" which uses high-pressure mortar or cement, or urethane foam injected through silver-dollar-size holes from the top. It's very effective and about 1/4 - 1/3 the cost of R&R.

If it were me I'd chip off the still-remaining cracked areas (I suggest a high-blow per minute pneumatic hand- held chipper hammer or even a pneumatic welding slag remover--the vibrating wire-rod type), power wash all the fines and dust off, before it dries use muratic(sp) acid full-strength and power wash immediately. Rinse it two or three times, and let it dry.

Find a commercial floor covering supplier and get some self-leveling compound mix in a bag (fairly expensive at $40 a bag), mix it up and resurface the floor. I'm not sure if it's cementious or a polymer.

At this point you could paint the floor with a commercial floor paint (talk to your contacts at the Big-3 and see what their plant maint. guys use).

Or,

Go online, or go to Home Depot/Lowes and buy their 2-part epoxy floor coating. I've seen some really nice garage floors done with commercial, multi-colored epoxy color chips that get sprinkled on the base coat and hide multitude of surface defects including cracks. One guy had it put down 1/4" thick and up along the concrete baseboard block to create a waterproof cash wash bay at home. ....

Concrete Salt Etching

View my Photos
AlbertaDan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-05-03          162495

from my experience in the construction industry you'll have to repair the conncrete first. Otherwise it will keep cracking, regardless of what type of patch is used. Remember, a patch is still a patch. The easiset way is to "mud jack". The hard way is to rip up the concrete yourself. Fix the reason why the concrete cracked.Drill into the old concrete edge to tie in rebar (for the new concrete) into the old slab. Pour new concrete nad seal it to keep out salt and chemicals.

For sealers there are numerous options. One is an epoxy coating. Your local hardware store may also have a simple paint made for garage floors. One thing you need to think about is that a garage floor takes a lot of abuse. everything from tools dropped to hot car tires.

One of the in-laws used to put down epoxy flooring. He was supplied by a company called Niagra coatings. they have a good selection of coatings. I'm thinking about getting him to cover the floor of my workshop while its still empty. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Concrete Salt Etching

View my Photos
lobeznofire
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-04-13          169976

hi everyone !!
i have a defect in my driveway in front of my garage. I need a quality sealer and wanted to know of a good product

Thank for your help !

Concrete Salt Etching

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2019-10-17          198796

I have some surface breakup on the garage floor. I had used the epoxy paint with the traction flakes. Nice at first but could not take the winter tires, salt, gravel and water. So it flaked the flakes and paint chips every where the tires were in contact. A real mess. I was thinking I would use a leveler or epoxy cement to redo the surface but am dubious of the tire traffic doing the same to it. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login