Go Bottom

stakebed to dump

View my Photos
DeTwang
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-04          56611

I'm looking to buy a stakebed truck in the next few days. There are a few options out there to decide on. Some have liftgates, some are dumps, some are neither. Some are duallys, some are singles, some 4x4 some not. Some are deisel, some gas.

My needs are fisrt for moving (some mountains to drive up and over during three or more 600mi each way trips), then to be used as a winter truck to get in and out of my new digs when there is snow cover (3 to 4 months a year). My work van won't cut it this time of year. In fact, it might be handy to be able to attach a plow to the front of the stakebed to clear the last 1/4 mile of road that the county doesn't clear.

I will also be using it to tow a mini TLB/trailer rig, and to haul off trash/demo materials, as well as to haul materials (lumber, drywall, etc.), and sometimes gravel, sand, concrete, etc..

I was thinking that the ability to use it as a dump would be nice too.

Has anyone converted a standard stakebed to a stakebed dump? If so, what kind of cost is involved if I do it myself? Or is this a bad idea?

Should I avoid the liftgate if I want to eventually convert to a dump, or can they be used together?

Thanks to all who reply..

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

stakebed to dump

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-04          56623

De Twang;

I have considered it a few times but still do not know what the correct combination is. I can find older trucks in AL fairly reasonable.

To carry any weight you need a dually. Not to get stuck in the snow you need 4x even with the duals. To have the truck livable you need an extended cab. The duals are not made with short wheel base therefore it is not suitable for plowing.

The dump kits for trucks are 700-1600 depending on lift capacity and quality. There are installation costs in addition.

I would recommend that you look at the other alternative which is to buy a regular pick up and then buy a goose neck dump trailer. I can get a fairly nice new trailer here with dump and tie downs for the tractor for 5-6K.
Why?
You have a regular truck when not in use.
The loading heighth is lower for moving material.
The goose neck allows you to move it around in tight locations.
The trailer is versitile to allow you to carry equipment or mulch etc. ....

stakebed to dump

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2003-06-04          56661

I have converted a truck with hydraulic $900 and air $1200(see "loadhog") website, I prefer the loadhog. The hardest part were the rear hinges. hard to think about a lift gate due to the rear hinges. I have never seen a lift gate that did not require it to be frame mounted which would interfer with the hinges ....

stakebed to dump

View my Photos
DeTwang

2003-06-05          56681

I considered the trailer route but it wont work for me for many reasons. Although I didn't know about dump trailers (that's pretty cool).

I think I'll take my chance with an old stakebed for now. I found a 1988 chevy C30 dually 12' stakebed for sale that has a rebuilt engine and trans in it. They want $3500 and are willing to come down in price. I'm going to go look at it later today. If it seems okay I'll start with that. I'll give it a try in the snow (rarely more than a few inches falls at a time and I have the snow blower for the unplowed portion of our road), if that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to either trade it in on a 4x4 version later if I can find one, or get yet another truck for the winter stuff.

I need something immediately for a job I'm doing, and I just don't see many 4x4 stakebeds available especially down in the $3k-$7k range where I'm looking.

I think it will cost about $500-$600 to get A/C installed and the dump kit should I get one is about $1400 for a 7.5 ton unit from pierce sales. The loadhog unit look a little on the light duty side and more intended for pickups. I would put the dump to more use than a lift gate.

But I haven't cemented all this in stone yet. I might be sorely disappointed when I look at this guys truck today.

There are some others I am looking at in the $6-$7k range if this one doesn't pan out. Too bad I don't have a money tree... B) ....

Link:   Pierce Sales

stakebed to dump

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2003-06-05          56725

It's alot easieser to back up a loaded truck than trying to back up a loaded dump trailer with an empty truck in a bad job site or soft soil and one ton 4x4 is minimum ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login