Go Bottom

How to fix Garage puddles Fill or Drill to drain

View my Photos
tamanaco
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-22          86570

My garage has no drain. The floor was poured so the water puddles right at my car door. Nice job by the guys that pour it! Anyway, I want to drill a drain hole at this low spot for small amounts of water to drain. Like snow melting of car. I looking for a small hand tool solution?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-22          86583

You could rent a core drill. Do you have a place for the water to disperse to? If you are in a cold climate it may not be prudent to saturate your soil under your floor,could
also undermine the soil from the cement. Just a thought.
You might consider a trough type drain that would run the
width of the floor to an outside wall and through the wall
to the outside.It sounds like a major job but it is not that bad,the trough comes in sections with a grill on it that is made to drive on. It is a matter of making two cuts
about 5-6 inches apart and break it out and drop in the drain. ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-23          86627

I'm thinking what grinder said. Unless you have exceptionally clean gravel under your pad. Then not sure how long it would be before contanimated with sediment and unusable.

I'd lean toward a good squeegie with cups at end to move lots of water. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-05-23          86634

It's a heated garage and slab on grade I guess. If the frost doesn't get too deep in your area and the soil perc rate is high then small diameter drain pipe to below frost might do the trick--the top would have to be sealed and the opening screened. The trouble would be that a small diameter pipe in low perc soil won't hold much before the drainage is up into the frost area and would then freeze. Of course in your area maybe it wouldn't freeze under a heated slab on grade. I'm not sure I'd drill if the slab has rebar and overall a squeegee sounds easier. ....

View my Photos
tamanaco

2004-05-30          87303

The garage is not heated, I live in Northern Ohio, so it does get cold and the run off does freeze in cold winters.

Thanks for the suggestions. ....

View my Photos
mtnfever

2004-07-17          91163

A trough drain is the way to go unless you have a way to pipe you drain out side the floor and footing as you stated it freezes and could cause your floor and footing failure. if you rent a concrete saw and cut a trough drain to the exterior that will fix the problem. you can metal grates to cover trough.

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-07-17          91169

You've got lots of good suggestions toward a cure for your problem so I won't offer anything only what doing it wrong a couple times has taught me. So far I've had a concrete floor poured in three garages over the years. All are insulated wirh no heat. First two, the floor slopes toward the door, park the warm car or pickup, the snow and ice melt off run toward the door and freeze the door gasket to the floor plus make a neat little ice dam that the water won't run over till I chip it away. Third one I asked the contractor if he would pour it to my specs rather than his, he said OK. This garage/building is bigger 46X46, three overhead doors. the floor slopes toward the doors to within about six ft. of the doors, then from the doors it slopes into the building to a floor drain where the slopes meet. Works great, no more frozen door gaskets. The contractor did an excellent job, I think they used a laser for the slopes, there are no puddles of standing water with only one floor drain. Maybe this will help someone else out. Frank. ....

View my Photos
JParker

2004-07-17          91189

For the retrofit, It sounds like Grinders idea is teh best option so far. But wouldn't there be freezing in the trough that would still be a problem? If so, some heat tape made for gutters might solve it if a problem developes.

My $0.02.

-JP ....

View my Photos
Cmassey

2006-01-01          122103

I agree with harvey. Squeegee!!!!!! Or you could dynomite a hole in the floor! Don't risk water flowing under the foundation. ....

View my Photos
MacDaddy

2006-01-03          122189

Just back the car in instead of pulling in forward and let the puddle be your passenger's problem;)

I agree w/ the others. There is no quick-fix for this one. A drain that depends on percolation will eventually fail. Most likley sooner than later. If you have enough grade away from your garage you could discharge thru a pipe into a yard swale or something, but again... a very big fix for a very small problem. ....

View my Photos
plumbnew

2012-01-09          181956

I think a trough drain would be much more beneficial in your case. Even with the cold weather, it is likely that it would drain faster than it would freeze. I would be afraid that you are compromising the concrete by drilling and letting the water drain that way. Have you thought about contacting any Indianapolis contractors? They may be able to provide you with some other solutions that we aren't thinking of! ....

View my Photos
earthwks

2012-01-10          181963

Plumbnew that situation was over 7 years ago. Jis' sayin'. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2012-01-10          181964

This is an old thread, but the issue is upon many of us now that winter is here. My garage drains well but occasionally I get the ice on the garage door seal that Hardwood mentioned.

I was wondering if putting a thin layer of epoxy cement would work, I had this done in a basement once and it held up well, not tested with car tires of course which may be an issue. Or maybe a combination of the epoxy cement and these stick on tiles they make for garage floors now. Anyway my thoughts are for building it up not drilling. ....

View my Photos
earthwks

2012-01-10          181965

Check out a product called floor levelling compound. It is soupy, cementious, self-levelling compound made just for this issue. Be sure to follow the directions as far as prepping the floor itself. It is fairly expensive $15 for a small bag, but may be worth it in the long run. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2012-01-10          181966

When we built the house I wanted a floor drain in the garage but the building code was such that it would have required a grease trap and special permits. Of course that makes no sense, because the water will drain somewhere regardless of building codes or the presence or absence of a drain, but nobody said building codes always make sense.

View my Photos
Murf

2012-01-10          181967

My home sits on a very deep area of sand, when the shop was built they gave the usual gears about a grease/oil trap, blah, blah, blah.

The reply they got was that it wasn't a drain at all, it was to prevent radon gas from building up underneath the floor slab.

;)

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login