Go Bottom

ground cover to halt erosion

View my Photos
farmhouse
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-09-20          42706

My new garage/storage building shaped like a barn is about a week away from completion and I can see that I am going to have trouble with erosion of the soil if I don't come up with a plan. The soil is very, very sandy and will wash badly. The area I'm most concerned about is on the southwest side of the building with slope starting next to the building and dropping to about 4ft. about 15 ft. away. I believe that I can terrace the soil and plant strawberry plants and take care of two needs; my large appetite for fresh strawberries and the follage acting as a ground cover to hold the soil. Does this make sense?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2002-09-21          42715

I've heard that some areas in the arid west wild asparagus is planted on highway road cuts. Apparently asparagus develops extensive closely packed root systems and few things are better at holding dirt in place. If cultivated asparagus has the same root system, it could satisfy another type appetite as well. Asparagus does take a few years to get going though, and I don't think it likes wet feet.

Something like that should manage surface erosion. For soil stability, I'd plant the fastest growing trees that thrive in your area; unless there’s a nearby septic system of course.

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-21          42731

How about sowing something like winter rye grass and covering it with hay until it comes up. Then you'll have time to decide what kind of permanent cover you'd like.

Billy ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-21          42733

I was thinking the same thing. You want a fast root system to be established with winter coming on and El Nino poised off the coast. Strawberries might be too slow. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-09-21          42735

I was having trouble around my new house. It has a large roof and a valley where two rooves meet over a steep area of soil. I built a retraining wall and filled it a couple of times with soil and sand. Planted grass but could not get it to stay. Finally I bought some Burmuda hybrid turf and placed it down on the slope. After a few weeks of watering the I had to pull up a little of it and the roots were down about 18 ". I have not had any problems with the errosion since. ....

View my Photos
Bvan

2002-09-22          42768

If you are going to terrace using ties or a concrete block type product than it is a go. Working with a roughly 3/1 slope like you have would not be to tricky. I would build three three 5 ft wide steps. You would end up a little further out beyond your 15 ft, if that is a problem make the steps a little smaller. Height would depend on thickness of material used. Finish grade height depends on floor height of shed. ....

View my Photos
Ted@Abbeywoods, LLC

2002-09-22          42781

I think Billy is on track here, plant the rye and take some time to think things out. I plant rye for all of my undecided customers, it grows fast, has a dense root structure, and makes a great green manure when you get to work on the final design. You would do well to include a retaining wall as Bvan mentioned, but it doesn't have to be this year? After investing in this building, wouldn't it be nice to use stone?

Is the slope on the long edge of the roof, opposite the gable? If so, and no form of leader and gutters are used, think about putting in a six inch deep curtain of 3/4 inch gravel around the foundation. This will help reduce soil splatter on your siding and hold water long enough to disperse it without a quick run-off that forms erosion. ....

View my Photos
farmhouse

2002-09-23          42834

Thanks to all for some great suggestions. As it is late in the season, I'll probably go with some winter rye and work on the terraces over the winter which is quite mild here in East Texas. Next summer's sun will take care of the winter rye then. I'm still thinking about strawberries, particularily in the soil that we have. We do plan to plant asparagus as a food crop but not expecting it to take care of our immediate problems. Thanks again to all. ....

View my Photos
Cmassey

2006-01-01          122101

how about red clover? will grow on concrete plus loads the soil with nitrogen. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login