Go Bottom

landscape rake use

View my Photos
burtalm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-03          78699

Okay, one more guys. How much down pressure can you put on a landscape rake with out wrecking it. My son wants to plant some clover as a replacement ground cover in several places as "wildlife management".
The soil is gravelly humus. the area is Fairly open woodland with some weed and minor scrub growth. If we mow the area with the brusg hog and then
we hit the area with round up and went over it well with a landscape rake, would we get the ground loose enough to broadcast spread the clover seed so it would take well? If you think this would work, I might not need a plow or a tiller. You experienced guys wanna weigh in on this thought? Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

landscape rake use

View my Photos
loghouse95

2004-03-03          78701

Are you talking about using your 3ph for down pressure,or just putting your position control all the way down. If you are talking about your position control you should have no problems..also clover should be sown so that the seeds go through at least one good freeze. a lot of people broadcast the seed after a snow so they can see the coverage ....

landscape rake use

View my Photos
burtalm

2004-03-03          78704

if I put position control all the way down, does it put enough pressure to break the rake? I don't own a rake yet. ....

landscape rake use

View my Photos
blizzard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-03          78710

Unless you have some special setup, the 3PH does not supply down pressure. The weight of the implement determines its working characteristics, you can set the 'position' of the implement (the lowest it will go) but it will float up to the limit of its travel if the attitude of the tractor changes. Otherwise if the front wheels went up over an obstruction the rear wheels would lose traction. Rather like when you put too much down pressure on the FEL, and the front wheels leave the ground.
There is 'load control' available for some hitches. This keeps the tractive force to the implement constant by raising the implement if it hits a 'hard spot' as when plowing. But the low position is still set with the position control. Putting extra weight on the implement in the form of sandbags or other temporary mass is common, but not recommended. Adjust the top link to get the implement working the best for your conditions, the attachment manufacturer usually matches the weight to strength pretty closely.
Hope this helps,
bliz ....

landscape rake use

View my Photos
burtalm

2004-03-03          78712

thanks again, Bliz

ps. I still have 4 ft of snow on my front lawn just 20 miles north of Syracuse. Can I ship any to the Canadian drought? ....

landscape rake use

View my Photos
blizzard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-04          78716

Amen to the snow in your area. I was caught there in the February, 1966 blizzard with 52" and 15' drifts. We get enough for me here with an annual average 107" total.
bliz ....

landscape rake use

View my Photos
burtalm

2004-03-04          78717

Bliz, I remember it well. I was trapped indoors for 3 days tht storm. Car was totally buried.
Tough part for us this year was the fact that we never got any thaws so it just kept piling up.
Have a good spring and summer!
Burt ....

landscape rake use

View my Photos
harvey

2004-03-04          78722

I'm not sure if you would get any penetration. I think the rake will just load up with old grass.

You might try taking out every other tooth and that might do it.

If it does not I'm only 25 miles SW os Syr and have a old set of #PH spring tooth harrows you can borrow for the weekend. ....

landscape rake use

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-04          78755

I've had pretty good luck in the past by just dragging an old section of harrows loaded up on top with concrete blocks or anything else heavy. Multiple passes may be required if the ground is really tough but generally it works pretty well.

Best of luck. ....

landscape rake use

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-03-04          78758

The angle at which your rake meets the ground, using a 3pt hitch without downforce feature, will determine the aggressiveness of "bite." The rake frame should be adjusted so that it is level with a flat surface when lowered all the way down for normal use. To increase bite, adjust the top link so the teeth of the rake tilt back about 3 to 5 degrees. This will rough up a surface fairly well. But remember, a rake is not a planting implement. ....

landscape rake use

View my Photos
kubotachick

2004-03-05          78921

well, this is just kind of an anecdote...the first job with a landscaper i ever had...on the first day we were doing fall clean up and I broke the rake....got chewed out the first day....BE VERY CAREFUL! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login