Go Bottom

Generator using natural gas propane and gasoline

View my Photos
Curtis Minor
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-10-29          21004

I notice someone on E-bay is selling a honda generator that has multiple fuels.Does anyone know how that works? Is it the same carb or different ones for each fuel. Would apreciate and web sites that describe this for any generator.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
tom

2000-10-29          21011

Curtis, I looked into converting a generator to propane about 4 years ago. I found a company that had three different ways to convert an engine one that converted the existing carburetor and two different replacement carburetor. I will look for the literature, but you can do a web search. I also wrote the generator company and they were very helpful, so you can check with your generator vendor.

tom ....

View my Photos
RCH

2000-10-30          21031

Curtis, a gasoline/propane/natural gas generator has a gasoline tank and a seperate propane/natural gas pressure reducer hook-up for a hose. The only difference for propane/natural gas are little washer like devices that change orifice sizes so it usually is either/or propane or natural gas. However, the gasoline option is ready to go all the time.
Propane is easier starting in the cold,cleaner burning and there is no problem of gasoline drying up, leaving a varnish like residual that prevents starting after a period of inactivity. I've plumbed mine to a 1000gal propane tank I use for heating so gasoline storage and refueling is avoided. It's on wheels in a barn that has propane to it 150" from the house. There is an underground cable from the barn to the house and a special switch-over electrical box in the house that is either getting electricity from the grid or the generator but not both. If there is a power outage we wheel the generator out the door,turn a valve at the propane tank and fill the line with propane by depressing the male end of the coupling (the coupling is akin to a hydraulic connecter), plug it into the generator and turn the key to(battery) start the generator. There is a big 3-prong plug that goes into the generator. Then, back in the house flip the transfer switch, making sure heavy draw appliances and excess lights are off.When the yard light comes on power is back from the grid and you can flip the transfer switch and stop the generator.All of this can be handled by the wife and kids. I have a 13 hp Vanguard engine coupled to a 6Kv 110/220 Winco generator. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login