Go Bottom

Starting problem

View my Photos
NHDick
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-02          111855

I am looking for ideas with my Jinma 284
Problem:
Tractor just barely turns over. Not enough to start.
Tractor only has 10 hours and has been running fine. Was putting Backhoe on. Have ladder installed, control unit mounted, pump installed with hoses. Went out one moprning to pull it forward and that was the first indication of a problem. Thought the battery was run down.
Actions:
Charged battery
Replaced positive battery cable.
Tried another battery. 600 cold crank amps.
Tried a new starter.
Tried a new battery for a Ford 350 deisel.
Connected ground cable directly to starter with bottom bolt after grinding paint off starter.
After each of the actions the problem remained, recharged the battery before next action.

At this point I am looking for ideas on what to do next to try to determine what the problem is. I am confident of the electrical connections. It seems like some thing is putting an added load to turn the motor over.

Any Ideas where to begin. Any obvious things that I have forgotten.
Thanks Dick

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Starting problem

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-02          111858

If you've been installing hydraulic equipment I would look there first. If something isn't correct the hydraulic pump could be quickly building pressure which wouldn't allow the motor to turn quickly. If it was a PTO pump try unhooking that or simply make sure the PTO is disengaged.
Dave ....

Starting problem

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-02          111864

In the case of the JM200 series, there is no PTO pump. One engine driven pump powers TPH - and steering via divertor valve - in a closed loop. Can't speak for the plumbing on your backhoe though. Nevertheless, blocking flow on the output of that engine driven pump will in fact produce the symptoms you describe.

My suggestion would be to disconnect the backhoe, recharge the battery, and see if your normal starting capability returns.

//greg//

Starting problem

View my Photos
NHDick

2005-06-02          111880

The backhoe has a seperate hydraulic pump. I just pulled the pump and the problem is still there. Although I had started the tractor with the pump attached the night before, and back it in place. I had not started it since I connected the hydraulic hoses. Even thought the PTO was disengaged I was hopeing that this would solve the problem. Tomorrow I will pull the fuel injector pump, alternator, and main hydraulic pump to see if any of these are the problem. Any more ideas of things I should check that might be putting a load on the engine??
Thanks for your input.
Dick ....

Starting problem

View my Photos
greg_g

2005-06-02          111882

I think it would be simpler to just pull the front pump temporarily. It's only a few bolts, then it slips right out of the keyway. Try to start the tractor with NO hydraulics. At least you'll have a direction to go from that point.

//greg// ....

Starting problem

View my Photos
NHDick

2005-06-03          111900

Problem Solved. I want to thank all of you that responded.When you are out in the country by yourself this forum makes you feel like you have a team with you full of suggestions.

I received an email from a member of this forum. He suggested.
"Take the Front Loader out of the loop by connecting the two hoses back together without the quick connects. I have seen those quick connects malfunction and the engine pump just has no place to send the oil. This will make the engine turn very slowly."
I did, it and it started as soon as I touched the key. Put the hoses back and it still starts.
Thanks to everyone
Dick ....

Starting problem

View my Photos
RichardRWatson

2005-06-03          111902

You may have experienced a problem with a sticking spool valve on the loader, not uncommon.

Rick ....

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top

Share This

Member Login