Go Bottom

JInma 284 hydraulic pump HELP

View my Photos
sarge1572
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-10          119209

Somehow or another I blew one of the "W" seals out of my hydraulic pump. I figured out why, fixed it, bought a "hydraulic pump o-ring kit", out with the old, in with the new, and put it together.

Problem - the "W" seals in the FIRST new kit are thicker than the large o-ring seals, a lot thicker. When it's assembled the gears are so tight, trapped between the "floating sleeves" that hold the gears in place and form the pressure area, that they can not be turned, not even with a wrench. I need to turn them slightly to align the nose of the shaft up with the slot in the drive gear on the engine.

I called the supplier. He said that the o-ring thickness didn't sound right, compared it to an old style set he had, and sent me the "old" style new set of o-rings. The "W" seals were considerably thinner than the FIRST problem set, but still noticeably thicker than the original set that came in the pump. I reassembled the pump with the SECOND new set and am having the same problem, I can't turn the pump gear to align. (In the original set the o-ring seals were round rubber that laid perfectly in the square cut slot in the steel portion of the pump housing. The "W" seals were flat rubber formed to the shape of the inner high pressure seal area. The FIRST new set had flat o-ring seals that laid perfectly in the square cut slot in the housing, as did the "w" seals, but the "W" seal was about half again thicker than the o-ring seal. The "old style" seals are like the original set, but the round o-ring doesn't fit well in the square cut slot, smaller than the cut, and the "W" seal is between the original and the first set in thickness. Thick enough that it's visibly thicker without miking it, or needing to measure it.)

I'm not a tractor guy, nor a diesel guy, not even much of a hydraulic guy (you may have noticed) but I've turned more than a few wrenches on cars (before they were giant computers with mufflers) and this has me stumped about how to proceed. Do I eyeball the position of the shaft, assemble it and hope the hydraulic pressure pushes the floating sleeves apart enough that the steel gears don't destroy the aluminium floating sleeves?

If I buy o-rings that fit the outer seals (upper and lower), and buy an additional o-ring, cut it to length, and install it in the "W" ring space will that work? or will I be committing some kind of hydraulic hara-kiri? I need a solution because I'm rebuilding my corrals and have been down for 6 days and may have to rent a tractor to finish.

This was purchased in 3-2005 and has a Y385T engine. The hydraulic pump is part of the engine and mounts on the back side of the front timing cover. I have a FEL and a box scraper that I run off of this pump.

Sorry it's so long but I didn't want to leave anything out. More than a few of you guys know what you're talking about and I feel pretty stupid already. This should be simple, but it's not.

Thanks
Jeff

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
affordable
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-10          119218

I don't know if you bought the kit from us or not, but the W o-ring is larger when it's new,as it wears in it get's flat.I suggest you install the kit and just snug up the 2- bolts that hold the pump together so the shaft will still turn until you get it installed.Start the tractor up let it run a few min. then tighten the bolts up.It should seat the W o-rings. Since the o-rings are thicker they are compressing the floating sleeves.Try it and let us know.We have been selling those kits for years with no problems.The same kit is used on the steering pump,hydraulic pump,backhoe pump.

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales ....

View my Photos
sarge1572

2005-11-10          119222

I'll try it first thing in the morning. If it works I'll post a message in the evening, if it doesn't I'll be on the evening news "crazy man sets tractor on fire"!!!

For me, the simplest solutions are sometimes the hardest to find especially if I think the problem worse than it is!! Time to go back to the K.I.S.S. model. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Thanks Tommy. I KNEW there were smart people here. In the current vernacular, you're the bomb!

Jeff ....

View my Photos
RanchHand

2005-11-11          119225

Also, in addition to what Tommy said.... use Hydraulic Oil as an assembly lube on all seals and gears. Don't want the pump to start up dry.

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply ....

View my Photos
sarge1572

2005-11-12          119280

Let me start by saying, "Tommy for President, Ron for Vice-President"

Of course it worked, just like you knew it would. I don't mind telling you that I was pretty nervous about about it considering my luck to that point.

View my Photos
RanchHand

2005-11-12          119281

I knew you could do it !!...... Just did not know how long it would take ??

Now I know who to call next time I need one rebuilt in CA. You the Man...Good Job

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply ....

View my Photos
affordable
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-13          119295

Great, glad you got it going,the good things about these message boards is everybody is willing to help.These tractors are very easy to fix and with parts avaliable theres not much reason to spend thousands more for a big three.Please let us know if we can help you with anything else or parts,we have hundreds in stock with repair kits for all the pumps,cylinders,ect.

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales

Go Top

Share This

Member Login