Go Bottom

Best placement of magnetic heater

View my Photos
corvetteguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-12-04          120359

Where is the best place to attach a 3x5 inch
200 watt magnetic heater on a 2 cyl JM-180?
I either need it to preheat the engine
or to heat the hydraulic fluid.
At 20 degree weather I need to idle the
motor for 15 minutes before I get any
action on the 3 point.
Hopefully, the glow plugs will help in
starting the motor.
I am in NE PA and the snow is falling.
George

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-04          120361

Can you park out of the wind? I would prefer a 175w heat lamp close proxmity to the trans/hyd. The lamp also works good aimed at injector pump side of engine.

Can you use a lighter hyd oil during the winter? Lack of oil flow is tough on hyd pumps.

Back to original question any flat surface that will accept the mag mount, on the system you need to heat, will work.

During the last real cold snap my tractor started hard even with glow plug system, it's inside by wood stove now. My old 2 cyl ford would also start but it started hard, a block water heater would be real nice. ....

View my Photos
artrac

2005-12-04          120377

Have you changed the factory syrup for som AW32 or similar hydarulic oil? ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-04          120382

Magnetic heaters trade efficiency for convenience. I'd stick it on the side of the hydraulic sump that's closest to the suction strainer. And in your neck of the woods, AW32 is definitely the hydraulic fluid of choice.

THEN

I'd get an oil pan heater for the engine oil - I highly recommend the Wolverine - and make sure there's a fresh crankcase full of 15W40 oil

//greg// ....

View my Photos
corvetteguy

2005-12-09          120769

AW32 what oil is that?
how much do i need?

View my Photos
greg_g

2005-12-09          120771

AW32 (also known as ISO32) is a very thin hydraulic fluid with a viscosity equivalency of about 10w engine oil. In Chinese tractors operated in cold weather, the thinner the hydraulic fluid the better. I think your JM180 holds about 9 liters

//greg// ....

View my Photos
kalpia
Posts: 77 Extreme Western on the beautiful St. Croix River, WI

2005-12-10          120813

I bought a 200W magnetic heater for my Agracat 2920 (254) last week and I'm returning it and getting a tank heater. The mag heater just isn't make for the WI winters but I was using it to help with starting not the hydraulic pump. It might work just great there, I do suffer the same problem that you do in that regard but I think I'll switch to a lighter fluid to help correct that problem. I don't think PA gets quite as cold or as cold for as long as we do so I might be a good $35 investment. I like the idea of the heat lamp so I might give that a try also, I only use the tractor to clear snow in the winter so it can be a used as needed. Good luck and keep us posted on how you do. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-12-11          120832

The head area is the most important part to have warm for starting a diesel engine in the cold. The other area's are good to have heated but will do little as compared to the head. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2005-12-11          120835

Sorry to disagree Art, but that's what glow plugs and manifold heaters (thermostart) are for. Heat rises, so heating the head area still leaves you with cold thick oil down in the pan. Hard on the starter and battery and oil pump, and won't rise quickly to critical cylinder areas. So since it's inarguable that heat rises, it only makes sense to heat the oil pan. Parasitic heating will warm the water jackets, and cold start assist will take care of the head area.

//greg// ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login