I recently went halves on a 2 point 10-8
Dearborn plow. I want to plow a little on
land not plowed in 20 years. It was hayed by
a neighbor last year.
On setting the 3 point, do I let the plow
go as deep as it wants or do I set limiters
to keep it from going deep?
What is the proceedure for setting the top link
to level the plow, angle it up, angle it down?
Should I be using my logging chains for maximum
traction?
What speed is best? I have 3 speed + Hi/low +
crawler.
George

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Dearborn Plow on JM-180

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-03          128773

I'm not great at plowing. But you need to set the top link so the heels of the plow stay in the furrow. This lets the heel (back of the plow) keep the plow from moving side-to-side. If the top link is too short the back of the plow will not be touching the ground.

You must set a depth limit or it will dive deep and stop the tractor. You don't want to plow too deep; 4-6" is more than enough. Around here, any deeper and you get into clay; also you are just turning over dormant seeds that will sprout.

It takes a lot of practice, especially with a two bottom plow.

Good luck,
Bill ....

Dearborn Plow on JM-180

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-03          128779

First off, you might be a litte underpowered. The JM180 has only about 13 drawbar horsepower. Especially since you don't have 4wd, I believe in this case engaging the creeper in low range would be considered almost mandatory.

Second, JM180s have no depth control - no draft control. You're going to have to use implement check chains to set maximum depth.

//greg// ....

Dearborn Plow on JM-180

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-05-03          128794

I agree with Greg, doesn't sound like you have enough tractor to pull a 2 bottom plow. I usually try to plow atleast 6" deep. My soil is clay that draws more power. In sand you may get lucky.

When your tractor is on level ground and during your first pass you need to adjust the plow frame level from right side to left side by using the adjustment screw on the right lift arms. You should first drive forward and get the plow to dig into the ground the amount you wish for it to penetrate (like 6"). After your first round trip you will need to readjust this with the screw again and count the revolutions.

When in the ground, the plow frame from front to back should also be level. The tip of the mouldboard should be slightly downward pointing to get suction. A good plow will have a depth gauge wheel on the left side to keep it to depth although it is not absolutely necessary.

Usually the plow will be attached to the 3 point hitch with some ajustable clamps (U-clamps). When your right wheels are in the furrow on the second pass, etc., the very right edge of the mouldboard should cut a path just to the left of the existing furrow. That leaves just a slight amount of soil tied allowing it to flip rather than push sideways. That makes it roll over and cover better. That is usually more important like when trying to cover corn stalks, etc. Some people set it up to just shear it off also.

Another really good way to do it is to go on your lawn and drive the tractor on a series of planks raising it 6" off the ground on the left side only front and back. Doing such that the tractor is stable. With the plow touching the ground, it is like when it is in operation but everything is visible. You can use a long board about 3/4" to 1" wide and set it on edge and lean it on the left side of the right tires for the length of the tractor and plow. The tires will contact the board on the boards right side and the right edge of the moldboard on the lefts side of the board. That is how it should track. This allows you to set it up in all planes. It is really not that hard to do.

Some plows also have a wheel that goes in the furrow directly behind the plow. That keeps it straight and helps to push against the vertical wall of the furrow for a nicer edge and also controls depth.

If your tractor won't pull it, you may be able to remove the second bottom along with its mounting arm making it a one bottom plow. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login