Go Bottom

PTO problem

View my Photos
mscpilot
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-07          130618

Ok guys your not going to beleive this one. My PTO stopped working, so after getting some advice I opened up the casing and took a look at the gears. Everything looked fine and with my hand I could manually make all the PTO gears work. After putting things back in there places and reseating the case. I started the moter and nothing. So after a nights sleep I went out and played with the handles until I got the PTO to turn. It now turns in the 540 and 1000 position but it also turns in the center position. Heres the kicker If I hold the PTO gear shaft and put it in gear I can actually hold the PTO with it running in 540 and 1000. As soon as I let go it begins to turn. When I hook up my Bushhog nothing happens. PTO appears to want to turn but nothing. I checked the shaft on the Bushog and it turns fine. I even checked it on my friends tractor. So any ideas on this one?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

PTO problem

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-08          130627

I almost jumped up and down when I read you could hold the pto. Just what would happen if it did stop slipping?

Could the over running clutch not be engaging fully?

PTO problem

View my Photos
affordable
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-08          130662

If everything on the inside is working properly, it has to be your PTO clutch disc.,either out of adjustment or it needs to be replaced.If you are going to test your PTO do not use your hand, we use a 2x4 and hold it against it while engaged.Let me know if we can help you with adjustment or parts

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales ....

PTO problem

View my Photos
mscpilot

2006-06-10          130726

Tommy, actually I did use a board at first but it was clear that there was no resisitance. Where is the PTO clutch disc? What does it look like? Thanks ....

PTO problem

View my Photos
mscpilot

2006-06-10          130727

KT, ,when I had the cover off the case the control unit that moves into the 540 and 1000 position, appeared to work fine, also the clutch at the front that engages the PTO appeared to work. ....

PTO problem

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-10          130731

pilot! DOH! Never, ever hold a PTO shaft! All it takes is something to engage and zippo... Case in point I was 14 when on my dad's 1945 Farmall I did just that. I broke my thumb in 3 places and dislocated it---lucky I didn't rip it clean off---which I have also seen up-close and in person when a guy at work installed a big shaft nut---by hand---on a RUNNING 11-hp buffer/polisher---he lost his arm from just below the elbow. I was the guy who rode with him to the hospital! Ever see fresh, beef spare ribs? Picture that sticking out of your elbow! ....

PTO problem

View my Photos
affordable

2006-06-10          130733

If you want to give me a call on Monday,I will try to help you resolve the problem,
Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login