Go Bottom

Trouble switching between 2WD and 4WD

View my Photos
locksleyred
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-15          130885

I have a Jinma 354. I have no trouble when putting the tractor into 4WD. But when I try and move it back it is most difficlut to say the least. The lever is simply attached to a shaft that comes from the gear box. There are no lugs of any sort visible and there is a good 1/2 inch between the lever and the body of the gear box so it is easy to see that there is nothing there which could possibly jam up etc.
All old tractors I have been on it's simply a case of moving the lever, no trouble at all. Is there a trick with these Jinmas? Is there a sequence I should follow to make it easier?
No one else owns a Jinma for over 50 miles radius so its not easy here to get help.
Look forward to your comments

Regards

Mike

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-15          130887

The lever ultimately mates a fork with a square spline to engage, pulls it back to disengage. Since there are four sides to the spline, it usually must be rotated to before the fork will mate or retract. To do that, the front wheels must be moving. I seldom even reach for the 2wd/4wd lever unless the tractor is already underway (in either direction).

Rear diff lock works the same way. You may require 1/4 to 1/2 rotation of the rear tires to engage rear difflock.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
affordable
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-15          130905

You also should try spraying some WD 40 where the shaft comes out of the case,but Greg is correct alot of time you have to move the tractor a little to Engage/Disengage.

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales ....

View my Photos
locksleyred

2006-06-15          130913

Thanks Tommy and Greg.
Will take note of this suggestion(s) next time I'm on the tractor and try it out thanks again.

Regards

Mike ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-16          130929

Realize I am mixxing products here but a few years ago purchased a Dodge four wheel drive pickup. My first. I was told how to engage the four wheel drive very detailed by the dealership and it was sitting still and well, it just did not work. Read the manual and it was very straight forward engage when moving slowly. Worked very well. Dealership was surprised when I went over the manual with them.

On my Kubota that has 4 wheel drive, I sometimes have to put it in gear and move the tractor a little to engage the 4 wheel drive.

Guess what I am saying is this seems to be a lot of 4 wheels work.
GB ....

View my Photos
locksleyred

2006-06-17          130947

Thanks KT,
Have tried changing while there is a slight movement forward and the lever moves freely now, thanks for all the help / ideas.

Mike ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login