Go Bottom

PTO Problem

View my Photos
donb1963
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-07-15          132206

I have a Jinma 180 model 2 wheel drive. The PTO has quit working. I can turn the shaft by hand and the lever engages and dis-engages find with no binding or anything. I have been told to check the 540/1000 RPM lever but this tractor doesn't have one (or it's so hidden I can't find it). Everything else works fine on the tractor. I was cuting one day and the PTO just quit turning. It's not the mower because I've used it 3 times since on my Ford tractor with no problems. I have wedged a board against the shaft with the tractor runnign and PTO engaged and it still doesn't turn. I do notice a slight squealing noise when I push in the clutch that goes away when I let the clutch out. This started about the same time the PTO quit working. This is a 10 year old tractor and has been a very good machine the time I've had it and I'd like to get it back mowing again.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

PTO Problem

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-16          132255

Sounds familiar. Have you done on a topic search here? Go to the very far top right (where there's advertising) to search. ....

PTO Problem

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-16          132258

Clutch fingers may need readjustment, as the 1st clutch to engage is the PTO. Remove one or both inspection plates on the bellhousing, look for 3 spring loaded metal fingers. All 3 finger "tips" should be within 1-2mm of the throwout bearing face. The adjustment for each finger is a hex nut adjacent to the spring.

Those little 180s only had an 8" clutch to start with, maybe 10 years is the lifespan. New clutchpacks aren't expensive ($365 or so, plus bearings), more labor involved than parts. Once out, then the old one can be rebuilt for a shelf spare.

//greg// ....

PTO Problem

View my Photos
RanchHand

2006-07-16          132265

donb1963, A couple of questions and some things you could check and with my thoughts.....

With the tractor running with the transmission in neutral, with foot off the clutch, will it grind when you try and put the pto in gear??

I think the squealing noise you have when you push the clutch pedal is probably the release bearing. You load the bearing [close the gap]when you push the clutch and then the bearing starts turning.... stops when you take your foot off if adjusted correctley. I assume you have a two stage clutch??

If you have a loader you will have to remove a bracket ... the left side is a little easier since the controll valve is on the right.... plus you can push the clutch pedal with your hand while looking in the bell housing to try and see what is going on.

Here are some pictures of an 254 that will give you a idea of what to look for and see.

Let us know what you find?? I know you said 10 years, do you know how many hours is has on it??

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply

Link:   CLUTCH PICTURES

PTO Problem

View my Photos
donb1963

2006-07-17          132303

I just tried to put the PTO in gear with the engine running and foot off clutch. It didn't grind when I tried this. Is this something broke inside the housing or clutch needing adjustment/replacement? How hard is that for a somewhat "rookie" mechanic like me?
My hour meter shows 104 hours but I know it's many more than that since I run it about 10 hours/month in the summer and it's 10 years old. I'm guessing closer to 500 hours would probably be pretty accurate. The only mechanical I have had done to it is a head gasket, starter and ignition switch replacement. It has definately been a good tractor for what I need and I'd like to get it back going if it doesn't cost too much... ....

PTO Problem

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-07-17          132307

The small Jinmas I owned had two levers associated with their PTOs. One lever had ENG/DIE stamped on the knob, the other had 540-N-1000. I always kept the 1st one in the ENG (engaged) position, then turned the PTO on/off by shifting between 540 and N (neutral) on the other. If the ENG/DIE lever ever moved to the DIE (disengage) the 540-N-1000 speed select lever was disabled.

But if you've got only one PTO lever, we're back to square one.

//greg// ....

PTO Problem

View my Photos
RanchHand

2006-07-17          132309

quote: I just tried to put the PTO in gear with the engine running and foot off clutch. It didn't grind when I tried this. Is this something broke inside the housing possible or clutch needing adjustment/replacement? end quote; Yes, it could be something broken inside.... still assuming you have a two stage clutch the main clutch is releasing or you would not be able to get the transmission into gear. Either the PTO input shaft is not turning or some part of the linkage is broken inside that engages the pto.

The noise when you press the clutch pedal maybe clutch related ... if so the tractor will have to be split, not a real big shop be there is some do's and don'ts.

Something broken in linkage would require to remove the lift box under the seat ..... if you can do a head gasket you can do this........... pretty easy job.

Sounds like it has been a good tractor ..... should be a good tractor for another 10 years and still less than 10K

Look at the 254 PTO pictures after clicking on the picture link below.

You can contact me through my web site if you want me to give you a call sometime. www.ranchhandsupply.com

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply

Link:   PTO Pictures

PTO Problem

View my Photos
donb1963

2006-08-27          133717

Well, I finally got around to taking the lift cover off and everything engages properly. I did notice the large gear at the rear of the housing on the PTO shaft that engages with the top shaft coming off the clutch were not lined up. I took a pry bar and moved it backwards to get the gears to line up. I did notice a piece that looks to be a part of the housing bottom broken off. This piece is at the bearing where the large nut is on the end of the shaft. It looks like a collar of some sort but I can't rotate it to see if it broke off. When I pried the shaft backwards to line up the gears, the collar looked to fit over the bearing. I'll drain off all of the oil and see what is going on at the bottom tommorrow.

Based on this discription, does anyone know what I may be looking at? If it is indeed a piece broken from the housing, is it weldable or am I out of luck? I'd like to have htis back going again. The tractor is still good and I don't want the expense of a new one. ....

PTO Problem

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-08-27          133719

Sounds like you may be able to braze it if it's cast iron. Aluminum may be able to be welded. Short of that you might find a new case at a tractor dismantler. If you have it brazed or welded be sure they are very qualified as the bearing bore has to be exact. Otherwise, you won't be able to reinstall the bearing or keep it in its precise place. ....

PTO Problem

View my Photos
donb1963

2006-08-28          133724

Well, I drained the oil this morning and it is a broken piece. It's the piece that supports the inner bearing inside the case. It broke from the case. The bearing housing is intact, it just broke from the housing... These transmission housings look to be cast iron. It will have to be brazed as these is no way to get inside without taking everything out of the housing to get in with an Arc or MIG welder... ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login