I have some new oil (5 Gal) and would like to
change it without breaking into the hydraulic
system and run th pump dry.

Since the oil drain is in the front and the
dipstick is in the rear what do you think of
slowly releasing oil from the front while
infusing new oil from the rear.
I figure a 5 gallon flush while it is running
would yield mostly lighter wt oil in the sump.

Yes?

No?
George

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Change to lighter wt hydraulic oil

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-09-08          134077

No! If you chose to drain then do it and not worry but you should make sure both oils are compatable with each other as the chances of removing all the gear oil is slim to none. You might find that you have some shafts that might give you trouble later as the thin oil might not hold as well as the gear oil for lubrication. You may find some seals that will weep as well do to the machining tolerances. I ran in to this a few years ago with a Kubota grey market tractor that a fellow bought a loader for and his intended use was for snow removal but it took about 45 minutes to get warm enough to use. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-09-08          134082

George, try a magnetic type block heater or two. We use them all the time and they really make a difference.

As long as you can get electricty to the machine.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
chipuren
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-09-08          134222

the hydraulic oil is separate from the trans. the drain is on the rear of the lift box. If you look at the bolts that hold the bracket for the top link, there is one on the left that is a bit lower than the others, this one is the drain. Unless yours is one of the newer type with the spin on filter on the right side of the engine, there is a strainer under the seat under a cover with 3 bolts that also has a pipe attached (supply line to pump. To completely drain, you may want to disconnect the line at the pump and can even remove the rear top link bracket to expose the inside of the lift box to wash it out. The factory uses an oil that is appx 30 wt motor oil, very slow in the cold. a lighter oil will help a lot. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-09-08          134224

The drain is in the back George, about a foot below the dipstick. It looks like a hex head bolt, but it's really the drain plug. If you've never removed the oil that came with it, you should drain it - then flush the entire hydraulic system with kerosene - run it to circulate the kero - drain. I use a piece of screen over a bucket to catch any big chunks that come out. That way I might be able to reuse the kero if it looks like a 2nd flush is called for. When you're satisfied it's clean and empty, refill with 9.5 quarts of AW32 non-foaming hydraulic fluid. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login