Go Bottom

2 Jinma or not 2 Jimna

View my Photos
Firsttractor
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-02-03          139524

Ok folks, I'm new to Owning a tractor. I've driven and used them from time to time, but never owned one. I've read till my eyes bleed. Went out and really drove a few and have decided I want a brand new $40,000.00 JD with all the bells and whistles!!! But, be that as it may. I'm posting on the Jinma/Farmpro/ Agracat Tractors Forum :) LOL
Here is what I need a tractor to do, lift a round bale and move it 300 yards on flat ground, stack 3X3X6 1300 lb bales 3 high, Pull a brushgog over fairly flat ground, run a notill seeder for pasture, move snow off my 300 foot driveway, move a little dirt and a lot of horse crap, Would be really cool if I could hook a PTO snowblower to it. I figure it will get about 20 hours a month put on it.

Are the import tractors up to the task??? Would you buy your less expensive import again? Do they have more problems than the others????? I see parts are becoming less of an issue, as far as getting them. But all I see on the message board is, how do I fix busted stuff?

I'm a good mechanic - But I'd rather use those skills restoring the 1970 Dodge Challenger!!!!

I need to hear from the guys (and gals) that have owned these for a while. So how was your first 1000 hours?
Your input would be GREATLY appreciated by a first time tractor guy

Thanks

Todd in Colorado

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

2 Jinma or not 2 Jimna

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-03          139525

Personally, I'm not up on who makes what or where it's from.

But I do know if you don't go with your gut (of course the $40G JD) you may be regretting it--coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Some of the mfg's like Montana, Kioti, and others have some really nice machines on any level. I'm not a big fan of the Jinmas, Mahindras---anything "--as". I prefer a lot of durable and stylistic plastic shrouding versus the metal parts that fade quick and rust just as soon. "Cheesey" comes to mind for metal body parts. The mechanicals seem to come from a just a few sources (my New Holland is a Shibaura for example).

Parts AND service are big issues especially if you're talking high-dollar machines. Time to get the parts overseas can be an an issue too. That's why I like my Blue--parts can be next day, sometimes a week if I don't want to pay extra shipping.

Dealers come and go--name brand or otherwise. And it's not always becasue thy couldn't make money due to bad market conditions --it was the Corporate guys making life hard for them. So that said, if you an XWZ and that dealer hits the skids--now what? Where do you go for parts/service? And it varies by region if you can get good service from the mfg. sales HQ office. Some are down right hard to deal with. Others like New Holland Construction (not Ag--they're different---jerks actually) when I had problems with my '03 skid steer, they jumped through hoops to give me an excellent trade-in on my '03, cut the cost on the the '05 to the dealer, and threw in another $4500 in discounts which resulted in a $47,000 list price machine out the door for $30,700 (Okay, okay. Maybe mentioning the indirect threat of litigation greased the wheels a bit too-- dunno.)

My '05 skid steer is a prime example of support. I bought it in Michigan and brought it to Miss. to work. New Hollands are not popular in the south--the local dealer said before the storm he sold only 1 the ten years they were in business. After the storm they sold 10. Even though they didn't have much experience with the machcine they had good regional support for parts and service. However, a guy here brought a new Gehl skid steer which is very popular in the midwest. His engine blew under warranty and the nearest dealer was 500 miles away and they would not come and get it. You want service? Drag it here was their response.

But I'm jis' sayin'. ....

2 Jinma or not 2 Jimna

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-04          139526

The little Jinmas (20-35hp) would not have the reach to get a 1300# bale up nine feet. I've got a 35hp KAMA that is up to the lifting task, but the FEL is max'd out at eight feet. They'd be suitable for all the other tasks though.

If you're limiting your choice to Jinma, check out the 40hp model. There's also a 55hp KAMA you might like. And Foton offers 70 and 82hp versions. Seventeen grand for an 82hp FWD with cab is pretty impressive. But where size matters for some jobs, it's bad for others. Like stable cleaning for example. For that, smaller is better. In the end, it's a matter of priorities.

//greg// ....

2 Jinma or not 2 Jimna

View my Photos
Firsttractor

2007-02-04          139527

Guys
FIRST---- Thanks for taking the time to respond.
All points are well taken.

earthwrks,
I got ya on the shuda woulda!! But 40k just isn't in my realm of reality!!
Greg g
I'm not stuck on Jimna or any other MFG. My questions were meant to be addressed to the less expensive Asian imports in general.
3 high on SQ bales would be 6' lift to the bottom of the third bale. A 9' lift would be a lot to ask (:

Thanks again guys and keep 'em coming

Todd ....

2 Jinma or not 2 Jimna

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-02-04          139528

I have two Chinese tractors, cheaper by far than anything Japanese or Korean - both purchased from about 500 miles distant. Obtaining consumables for them has never been an issue, and only one time in nearly three years did I have to wait for the dealer to special order a repair part from China. All other parts I asked for were delivered from Arkansas (by UPS/USPS) in less than a week. As long as you're not afraid of wrenches or dirty hands, Chinese tractors are excellent value. Dead simple to work on, 50 year old technology in a 21st century wrapper.

In fairness to EW, my own Jinma experience was negative - but through no fault of the tractor. I thought 25hp and 4wd was sufficient for my needs, turned out I underestimated. Worse though, was an absolutely unresponsive seller (doesn't deserve the title of dealer). So I got rid of the Jinmas in favor of a KM454. Three years of satisfaction led me to buy a second one, this time a TS354C with Koyker 160 loader. I get major work out of a minor investment.

Western Engines in Ft Collins is listed as a KAMA dealer, Pacific TriStar is listed for Fotons in Ogden Utah, The latter looks pricey though. For the sake of comparison, click "this link" below.

//greg// ....

Link:   this link

2 Jinma or not 2 Jimna

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-02-04          139529

Greg: I looked at the Futon (sp - tehehe) link: All kidding aside, the front hoods look like pre-2003 New Hollands, in fact they resemble the tractor sold abroad like in the UK---right down to the grille mask and the headlight placement. The rear of the tractor looks like it is a Mahindra. Has anyone done the "family tree" for the Foton? I mean are they related to New Holland or Shibura(sp)?

Firsttractor: I'm a proponent of having two machines that can overlap capablities and purpose. Have you considered a skid steer with either pallet forks or bale spear? Mine will lift 5500 lb. before tipping, a smaller one will lift 2,500 before tipping. However, my large machine will go a litle over 10 feet up, the smaller one will go a wee bit over 9 feet. You can get a machine like mine in beat-up condition for about $12K; good, for about $18-20K. A smaller machine $8-10K. There are very few jobs I get that I need only the tractor or the skid steer. Depending on the work, each will run circles around the other.

Another option--maybe--if lifting bales is your concern about height and weight, how about a cheap forklift? You'll need concrete or asphalt to run it on though if it's an "indoor-only" model. You'd be surprised how much you'll use it once you have one. And you'll be surprised (or not) how many new friends and relatives you'll have too. ....

2 Jinma or not 2 Jimna

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-02-04          139532

Foton is a recent name change, so you may have seen some in their previous life (they first came to America as Futian). The change came after the Chinese were slapped with a tradedress suit by New Holland a few years ago. Apparently NH wasn't so much concerned about the hood/grill as they were the color. There was a brief period when imports were halted by the lawsuit, while Futian stopped painting them blue. When imports resumed, the red version became the Fotons sold today.

//greg// ....

2 Jinma or not 2 Jimna

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-02-05          139578

Firsttractor,

I bought a Farm Pro 25hp 4wd with FEl. The only problem I have had has been minor. I dug a 40' X 40' 5' deep garden pond using the Fel in red clay. It carried all of the wood, concrete, tools, and dirt to build two 100' sea walls. I have not had to get parts and I hope that farm pro will be there when I need them. It cost half of what the other brands wanted. It does all I need. Greg is correct you will need to have some tools. Mine does leak here and there but I can buy a lot of hyd. fluid for $10,000. I do not think I would buy one for Industrial work. ....

2 Jinma or not 2 Jimna

View my Photos
kalpia
Posts: 77 Extreme Western on the beautiful St. Croix River, WI

2007-02-16          139799

I have the Agracat 2920 (Jinma 254 or FarmPro 25/4wd). I too have a couple of paddocks that I work with but I don't stack RB's. It's a nice little CUT and does everything I need. Less than 1/2 the price of the Green; yes they are some sacrifices made but for $10K I can live with'm. In three years I've had <$300 done on my Aggie by a professional mechanic (including parts). At this rate I figure my break even point is 2103. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login