Go Bottom

Fuel system re primed

View my Photos
newton
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-05-24          142413

I have a 454 i changed out the fuel filter and now I can't get the fuel system re primed. Has anyone run into this problem?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Fuel system re primed

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-24          142420

It's an air lock, VERY CAREFULLY, crack open the fuel line at (or as near as you can) to the intake side of the fuel pump, then wrap a rag around an air gun, and after turning your face away, blow air into the fuel tank using the rag as a gasket to seal up the rest of the fuel tank opening.

Even with most of the air escaping around the rag enough pressure will develop to force the air out as the fuel is pressurized a little.

Once you think most of the air is out of the system, tighten the line back up and try starting the engine. If it still doesn't want to fire try giving it a bit of fuel or WD-40 into the intake, do not use ether unless absolutely necessary, and then only a VERY small amount.

Once the engine is running, the pump is turning fast enough to blow the remaining air clear of the system, but be forewarned it will cough and sputter and likely blow some white smoke until it's all gone.

Best of luck. ....

Fuel system re primed

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-24          142430

These Chinese tractors are still basic 50s and 60s technology. When gravity drains the hardlines during a filter change, air gets into them (the hardlines). In the normal course of events, the injection pump will push fuel up the hardlines with sufficient pressure to trip release springs in the injectors. But when air displaces fuel, this doesn't happen. So you must crack the hardlines at the injectors (loosen the top compression fittings), which permits the trapped air to bleed out.

But before you do that, you must make sure that the filter is full, and that there's no air in the flex line going into the injection pump. Locate the fuel line between the filter and the injection pump. Loosen the banjo fitting on the input to the injection pump. Use the hand primer to manually pump fuel through the fuel pump - through the fuel filter - TO the injection pump. When it runs raw at the injection pump, tighten the fitting.

Put the tranny in neutral. Crack the hardlines at the injectors (loosen the compression fittings at the top of the steel fuel lines). Crank the engine with the starter motor until fuel runs raw out of THOSE loosened fittings. Tighten them down.

Start the engine.

//greg// ....

Fuel system re primed

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-05-24          142435

I do a combination of Murf and greg's suggestion. I use compressed air at the tank filler and crack one or two fittings at the injectors. Starts up nearly instanlty every time. This even works on the Dodge Cummins system too. ....

Fuel system re primed

View my Photos
newton

2007-05-25          142451

Thank you I will let you know how she turns out ....

Fuel system re primed

View my Photos
newton

2007-05-25          142452

Thanks When I bought it the guy told me to never let it run out of fuel because priming was a problem. I'll let you know how it goes. ....

Fuel system re primed

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-05-25          142461

Primi You need to keep in mind that when they made it they had to have the most efficient way of priming it. And it won't be a problem once you find out how to do it. ....

Fuel system re primed

View my Photos
newton

2007-05-29          142564

I did a combination of the two. I had a small cap I taped in place of the fuel cap. This allowed me to put air pressure in the tank. I cracked the line at the othe side of the fuel pump and rolled the engine. It primed fairly quickly and easy.
Thanks ....

Fuel system re primed

View my Photos
Murf

2007-05-29          142566

Glad you got it going.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login