Go Bottom

Jinma 284 troublshooting starting

View my Photos
cosmos
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-07-23          143982

We seem to have an electrical problem! Help please!

It all began when I was lowering the mower over a clump of Canadian thistle. The engine suddenly stopped. I tried to restart, but only heard a clicking noise each time I engaged the key. I observed some sparking around the starter contacts.

So, I contacted my Jinma dealer who lives thirty miles away, then I went and got a new starter. When I put the new starter is in, nothing happened, no indication of life! No juice coming in to the instrument panel, including when I tried to jump start. Then I took the battery to NAPA for a test, which showed the battery to be borderline, so now I have a new battery installed.

There is a full voltage reading with a multimeter at the poles of the new starter, except the small pole with red wire does not show any voltage at all, either with the key on or off. I pulled the key switch which seems to have continuity between one pole and two others with the multi meter when turned to the first position, with 4th pole signalling continuity on the full turn of the key.

I checked the little plastic fuses, one 30A, maybe two 20A, and the rest 15 & 10 A.

Is there a possibility it is one of the other components there in the vicinity of the fuse box that could have an issue? Is there another fuse I’m missing, or a test to try to narrow things down to the problem?

The owner’s manuel that came with the tractor is useless. I couldn’t find any info online related to this issue.

Thanks for any help you can offer. We’d sure like to get the thing going soon...

Cosmos

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-23          143983

Mowing and thistles are unrelated to your problem, the fact you had an electrical failure at that time was purely coincidental.

Sparking around the starter posts is generally only a sign of loose connections. You may not have needed that new starter. If your battery is OE, I can easily believe NAPA, many are borderline right outa the box. That 30A fuse is your system fuse, if/when it blows, NOTHING works. Just for GP, I'd replace that with a known good 30A fuse.

Besides a high battery failure rate, the switches Jinma uses on the 200 series suck - particularly the ignition switch. The wafers inside collapse prematurely - especially when the tractor is parked out in the weather. If you can turn the engine over down at the starter, then the problem is in the switch. I replaced mine with an old fashioned Ford coldstart switch. Besides being a more reliable switch, it also permits the glow plugs to continue heating while the starter motor is turning. With the Jinma switch, they start cooling down as soon as you move the key from H to S

//greg// ....

View my Photos
RanchHand

2007-07-24          143985

Make sure your clutch safety switch is good.

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-07-24          143999

If the starter is still clicking but not cranking, try tightening up every connection between the battery and the starter. (It's free) Get the negitive side too. My brother had an old 1966 Beamer do that out in California, had to drive it to Colorado without shutting the engine off, and then when we got home, a friend said "check this out". One crank with a cresant wrench and we were back in bussiness. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login