Go Bottom

Farm Pro 2420 Tractor Blown Head Gasket

View my Photos
bandbranch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-09          146719

I have a Farm Pro 2420 (I think). Was a little hard to start but then ok, shredded for about 1 1/2 hours and then I noticed white smoke coming out of stack followed shortly by black smoke and then it died. Where do I start trouble-shooting? Think I blew a head gasket? Was out of oil and water when it stopped but I know it was full when I started it. I charged the battery and it still will not even attempt to turn over. There is no one close that works on this brand so I have to do it myself.

[added later by Administrator for poster]

I think there is water in the cylinders of my Farm Pro 2010 series tractor. Can I pull the injectors out to get the water out? I was shredding for about 1 1/2 hours and then white smoke came out of the stack followed by black smoke within seconds. When I checked water and oil it was gone and the tractor will not even try to turn over when I try to start it. No dealers or mechanics that will touch it in the area I live so I have to do it myself.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-09          146721

Given the info provided so far, the white smoke and no oil/water don't compute. But that tractor's got an engine driven hydraulic pump, front right I believe. If the engine labored very hard (black smoke) then died, the hydraulic QD coupler just behind the pump may have separated. With nowhere for the fluid to go, the pump will deadhead. Once the engine kills, the starter motor doesn't have enough grunt to overcome the pressure from the deadheaded pump.

Find that QD and reseat it if necessary. There might be a lot of pressure against the ball or cone on the pump side fitting. You can release that with a channel-lock, but make sure you point it away from yourself. When it finally snaps together, start the engine to make sure that was the problem. If it was, use three cable ties to prevent that QD from popping open again.

If that's not it, c'mon back and we'll examine the other symptoms you mentioned.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-10          146723

Bandbranch,

You've definitely blown a head gasket. The white smoke is a dead giveaway.

You say you have no oil. I might be wrong, but I assume you are referring to engine oil here. Your transmission / hydraulic fluid level should be OK. If I've got this all wrong, please correct me.

Your engine won't turn over if you have even the smallest amount of water on top of any piston. Water cannot be compressed. Your engine will instantly stop turning over once the water is squeezed against the head, even with a blown gasket.

If your engine oil is gone, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't already do some major damage to the block. When the piston attempted to compress water in the cylinder, you could have broken a piston, a rod, a crank shaft, or all three. Additionally, the resulting stress could have cracked the block.

Did you see any oil on the ground under the tractor, or running down the outside of the engine block? If so, you likely have a cracked or broken block.

At any rate, you're going to need to replace your head gasket. When you tear down the engine, don't put it back together before checking everything out.

Joel

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-10-10          146727

A diesel engine will in fact start and run with a bad head gasket. I just replaced a head gasket on a Y485 yesterday. It started and ran just fine on and off the trailer, and drove into the shop under it's own power. Once the head was removed, and there was a quarter inch of coolant standing on top of piston #4 and #3 was damp. In fact, the amount of pitting in the cylinder head above #4 indicates it's been boiling water for quite a while. #3 was starting to pit also.

This engine had a metal and paper head gasket, which by now was a sodden mess. During the compression stroke, coolant was forced into the head gasket. The excess coolant that couldn't be soaked up by the gasket material was pushed out during the exhaust stroke of all four cylinders. It's almost a dead certainty that the original owner never performed the 50 hour maintenance items relative to fdtorquing the head bolts and adjusting the valve lash.

Anyway. Don't rush to judgement here. Right now we just have an engine that died and won't restart, various colored smoke of indeterminate origin, and some question marks over the fluid levels. It's a little early to start tearing down the engine.

To the Original Poster: Your tractor is a 20hp Jinma 200 series that's been rebadged by Homier. But in this case it might be the 2WD two cylinder version. Can you confirm what's stamped on the engine label? How many hours are on this tractor? And what kind of maintenance schedule has been followed? Do you have all four manuals?

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-10-11          146825

First off, it does sound like water has gotten past the filter, separator and pump.

This is not a good thing.

Yes, to answer your question, it is a relatively simple straight forward process to fix it. I would suggest you get your hands on a manual first though, it's always faster and easier to do something that's a bit familiar.

Also, before you start, make sure you have a good place to work, I'd suggest inside is best. If you have access to a digital camera, take lots of pictures, close ups, of the area of the engine you are going to be working on, later it may make a big difference with "where does this go again?".

Basically all you have to do is disconnect the fuel lines and return lines, remove the injectors, they unscrew like spark plugs, and be careful not to drop any loose parts, especially washers, and be sure to note the order they were in. I would also suggest you do them one injector at a time.

Note: There is usually a copper looking washer to seal around the shoulder of the injector where it meets the head, these washers are NOT reusable and must be discarded and replaced with a new one every time. They are what keeps the compression from just leaking off.

Once you have an injector out all it needs is a good rinse in some clean Varsol to be sure all the water is gone, and allow to dry before you re-install. If you use compressed air be sure that there is no moisture in the lines, and that you don't blow away any little parts that might be loose.

Check the manual for torque requirements, the tightness of the injectors is critical, too loose and they don't seal, too tight and you crush the gasket and it leaks also.

Once the injectors are re-installed but BEFORE you reconnect the fuel lines, be sure to completely flush the ENTIRE fuel systems from tank to end of line where it connects to the injector.

After ensuring the system is clean, loosely tighten the fuel lines to the injectors and crank the engine until you get fuel at each loose fitting. Tighten them all up and start the engine.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-10-11          146828

Bandbranch,

If you dont have a manual check out the below website. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top

Share This

Member Login