Go Bottom

Farm Pro 2425 won t start

View my Photos
Biokirk
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-02-29          151803

When I first turn the tractor to the on position, I have power. When I attempt to start it everything goes dead. Gauges quit working. Turning the key off and back to on restores power. Battery is good, I just installed new battery cables, cleaned battery connections and starter connections including the body ground. Everything worked before I put the new cables on although the gauge backlights don't work and if I leave the horn connected it will activate by itself. I'm stumped. Help please!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-01          151804

Biokirk,

If you still have the original wires for the battery, I would try re-installing them.

I've seen many "new" battery cables that aren't worth the powder it would take to blow them up. You may have received a defective cable.

When everything goes dead, it's a sure sign that you are drawing a tremendous amount of amperage. This is usually caused by a dead short, or by a very loose electrical connection. I'm guessing that one of your new battery cables is just barely making a connection internally.....ie..a poor factory crimp at the terminal.

Try putting the old battery cables back on and see if that doesn't cure the problem. If not, please stop back. We'll go from there.

Joel ....

View my Photos
RanchHand

2008-03-01          151805

The clutch safety switch & ingition switch would be one of the first things I would check.

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-01          151807

Put the tractor in neutral, set the parking brake, jump the starter right at the solenoid. If that works, you can rule out bad battery cables. Since you're not blowing any fuses, I suspect the keyswitch-to-solenoid circuit. That's the one that passes through the clutch interlock Ronald mentioned.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-03-01          151809

Did you load test the battery or just measure the voltage? The battery could have an internal short where it would measure 12.6 volts with a meter but under load it fails. If in doubt, get it load tested. What caused you to change the battery cables? It isn't clear from your post if the horn and backlight problems started after you changed the cables or if they were a problem beforehand. ....

View my Photos
Biokirk

2008-03-01          151811

I'll check the battery cables. The battery was load tested. My backllight and horn trouble occurred before the other issue. Thanks for the feedback ....

View my Photos
Biokirk

2008-03-01          151822

Problem Solved!! I traded back to the old battery cables even though I was pretty sure the new one were ok. I started wiggling wires and found the ammeter connections were slightly loose. Tightened them and solved the power loss problem. Thanks for everyones input. ....

View my Photos
RanchHand

2008-03-02          151831

Good Job !

Thanks for the feed back.

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply

Go Top