Go Bottom

lost oil pressure jinma 354

View my Photos
1sttractor
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-06-27          154891

I was mowing down my praire grass today got about half way thruoght the 6 acres and without warning my oil pressure guage went to zero, idiot light came on and the tractor started to exaust a white gray smoke. It typically has little to no color exhaust when running. Does anyone have any ideas on what to try first. I have checked the oil level and it is good. I also had the fluids changed out about 12 hours or so ago w/new filters. any help on this would be great!! Thanks!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-27          154897

White smoke is unfortunately a common sign of water in the combustion chamber and/or exhaust path. But I'm not sure how that would equate directly to such a sudden loss of oil pressure. Just to eliminate a water problem, park the tractor with the oil drain plug on the downhill side. Let the engine cool overnight, it takes time for oil and water to separate. Then check the oil again, noting if it looks lighter than usual - even frothy. If not, loosen the drain plug very carefully so that you only get a few drops out. Since oil is lighter than water, any water SHOULD be the first to drip out.

If the oil looks normal on the dipstick, and no water comes outa the drain - we'll move on to what the deal is with the oil pressure.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-06-27          154899

Did the engine stop on it's own or did you shut it off after the oil light came on? ....

View my Photos
1sttractor

2008-06-27          154901

Hey thanks for getting to my question!! The oil looks good. I did the slow drip of the drain plug and it is straight oil. The tractor was running great. I had noticed that the oil pressure was a little lower than typical but I thought maybe I just needed to top off the oil. A half hour or so later while mowing the pressure dropped to zero. I could hear the engine noise change a bit as it happened and then the white gray smoke started. This all happened in 3-4 seconds. The tractor did not stop, I shut it down. I checked the dip stick and the level looked good. I tried the filter and the filter looks great. I dumped the filter out and put it back on and started the tractor to see if the filter would fill back up. The Tractor started fine but no oil in the filter. I am thinking there is a problem with the pump or screen inside the oil pan? Any tips or ideas? Thanks!! ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-27          154902

Ya beat me to it. The next thing to check once no water was detected was to have been the oil pump. Do you have the type where the bottom of the crankcase is a removeable plate? If so, it's time to think about dropping the front driveshaft and seeing what's going on with that pump.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-06-27          154903

I think you are on the right track with a possible oil pump failure or a clogged intake screen. I have to agree that white smoke and oil pump failure don't seem to fit together. White smoke can also mean fuel is being injected but not being ignited because of lack of compression, but I doubt that chain of events would happen that quickly. ....

View my Photos
1sttractor

2008-06-27          154904

Thanks you guys!! It is good to hear I may be on the right track. I pulled the crank shaft. I think I removed all of the bolts that hold the pan on, but I still can not get that thing to budge. Do you know of anything I may be missing or the best way to get it loose. It is almost dark out here but I really want to get this pan out and see what is what. Thanks for any tips!! Hey Mr. Hardwood, just curious I own a Hardwood flooring co and when I saw your name it made me wonder if you do as well. Thanks!! ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-06-28          154908

I believe you mean "pulled the front drive shaft", but that's a minor point. I was interested in which engine you've got in that 354, it's been imported with at least three that I know of - contributing dealers here may know of more. In some cases, the type engine dictates how you get to the oil screen and pump.

You used the word "pan", but there was a specific reason that I used the word "plate". The plate type comes right off after convincing the gasket sealant to let loose. As does at least one of the pan types. One of those even has a pump screen that can be removed from the outside. But one (aggravating) pan type has a pair of bolts inside the bellhousing. Hopefully that's not the case here, because it means splitting the tractor to get to them.

It would help if we knew what's printed on the engine label. It's typically on the valve cover, but on some engines is found on the side of the block.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-06-28          154911

1'st; Normally the gasket is just stuck to both the block and the oil pan, but there may be a bolt you haven't found yet, I'm not familliar with a Jimna. OK, the "Hardwood" thing, I did own a furniture plant for 35 years. The Mrs. always thought "Hardhead" would have been more approprate. I'm still pretty good at turning perfectly good lumber into totally worthless sawdust. Frank. ....

View my Photos
1sttractor

2008-06-28          154918

Greg g I just got going this morning, thanks for getting back to me. I have Y485T 05 206 engine. Please lord tell me I do not have the one that requires me to split the tractor to get the pump. If this is the case I may have a big Red lawn ornament for a while. Ha Ha. Hopefully the bolts I haven't found are not located inside the bell housing. Furniture Plant, the Hardwood tag fits perfectly!!
Thanks Frank ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-06-28          154919

A servicing dealer will have to confirm this, but some of the y485s did in fact have to be split - just to get at those two bolts. I think that the answer lies in how many pan bolts there are.

I'm hoping that a dealer can chime in here and confirm this. But I think if you've got the pan with 20 bolts, there shouldn't be any inside the bellhousing holding you back.

Short of that, I guess the test of fire would be if you can break the gasket seal from the front first. I'd try to wedge something in to try and ease the pan away from the block from front to rear. If it drops, fine. If it hangs in the rear, you'll know why
//greg// ....

View my Photos
1sttractor

2008-06-28          154925

Greg, Thanks for all of your help, I will count the bolts and try and pry from the front of the pan. I really appreciate your time and I will let you know in the morning what happens with that darn pan. Thanks a million!! Chris ....

View my Photos
corvettteguy

2010-06-09          171462

I have a JM-180
after 20 hours lost oil pressure.
A $20 mechanical oil gauge
from NAPA remove old sender install
new sender And I now TRUST meter
75 Pounds start 30 pounds after 2 hours.

View my Photos
richwaugh

2010-06-09          171467

No matter how the the pan finally comes off, after you've dealt with the lack of oil pressure you're going to have to address the white smoke issue. Don't lose sight of that issue while focusing on the oil issue.

It is generally true that white smoke indicates water in the combustion chamber(s) and that ain't good at all. Two causes, in order of frequency, are blown head gasket and cracked block. This could be related to the no oil pressure problem. If your engine ran for a while with no oil circulating it could well have gotten hot enough to stress/warp things and take out the head gasket or even crack the block. Head gasket is much more likely though, fortunately. Unless the smoke was actually blue, not white - that's burning oil, not water. But with no oil pressure I don't see how oil could get to the combustion chambers.

Like Greg said, hopefully one of the helpful dealers will see this and provide some further insights. A couple of those guys are really sharp and not shy about helping, either.

Best of luck with it!

Rich ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-06-09          171469

Two year old thread Rich

//greg// ....

View my Photos
richwaugh

2010-06-10          171473

Duh...

Now we'll never know the outcome - was the block cracked? Did a mutant Humbug eat the oil pump? Can this marriage be saved? I hate these cliff hangers!

:-)

Rich ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login