Go Bottom

jinma 285 brake replacement

View my Photos
beginner
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-10-31          157584

I recently bought a Jinma 285 tractor. I am looking for a parts diagram and procedure. Also am wondering if I need to use a special anti-freeze or just regular?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-31          157586

Just regular antifreeze, but I stick to name-brand items. You'll have to drain some of the coolant, so unless it's new, you might as well drain, add rad cleaner, run, drain, fill with water, run, drain, fill rad with antifreeze, run. The rad holds about half the coolant volume, and you'll want about 50/50 antifreeze/water (but follow the label).

Why did you title your posting "brake replacement"? If the tractor is a few decades old, it's a good idea to service the brakes, making sure moving parts are free and springs are still good, but unlike cars the shoes typically last the life of the tractor.

There's a newsgroup called Chinese Tractor Owners. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-31          157589

NO! Your tractor has a wet sleeve engine. Use a SCA coolant. Cheapest I've found locally is Final Charge at Walmart. Last I bought was $9/gal, and already diluted to 50/50.

Since tractor brakes are typically only designed for parking and skid-steering, they should last a long long time - IF - kept clean. If you have an issue with your brakes, they're probably just wet and/or rusty. Some early Jinmas came with drum brakes, but most (small) Jinmas are now dry disc.

But you'll never find a manual for a Jinma 285, their ain't no such animal. It looks like you may have intermingled the tractor and engine numbers. The most common small 4wd Jinma in this country, is the (JM)254 with the (YangDong) Y385 engine. As soon as we conclude which Jinma you actually have, we can work on getting some manuals.

//greg//

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-10-31          157592

Beginner,

Most heavy-duty diesel engines require Supplemental Coolant Additives (SCAs) in the coolant system. (Now we have to decide if our diesel engines are "heavy-duty")

Due to the extreme heat produced by large displacement diesel engines, cavitation can occur along the cylinder wall. In a nutshell, this means that the cylinder wall will not have any coolant in contact with it during the cavitation period. Over a period of time, coolant cavitation can cause serious damage to any diesel engine, just as cavitation in a hydraulic pump can cause severe damage.

SCAs are added to coolants in heavy-duty diesels to prevent this problem.

If you decide to use SCAs in your coolant, please save yourself the trouble and get the "fully formulated" stuff. Fully formulated coolants are much easier to use, as they eliminate any chance of human error. (Too much SCA is just as bad, if not worse, than not having enough!)

SCAs offer other benefits as well, such as extending the life of the radiator and plumbing.

If you're looking to replace your coolant, please look for ATSM specification D-6210. Completely drain your cooling system, then replace with a coolant of this quality.

NEVER mix brands. Different brands have greatly differing chemistry, and WILL cause serious problems when mixed. It's not really important that you pick a one brand over another, so long as you stick with the brand you first used.

Greg probably knows more about this than I do.

Joel ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-10-31          157598

Well, "heavy duty" is relative isn't it?

When you get right down to it, all diesels are heavy duty - when compared to their gasoline/propane/LNG counterparts. Yet SCAs don't need to be used in all diesels - or in all engines for that matter. It's a wet-sleeve/dry-sleeve thing.

If the water jackets are pre-cast into the block, it's a dry sleeve engine. If the coolant passages (water jackets) aren't complete until cylinder liners (sleeves) are pressed in, it's a wet sleeve engine. By design, wet sleeves are simply more susceptible to cavitation damage than are dry sleeves. Thus the recommendation for SCA type coolant in wet-sleeved engines, diesel or otherwise.

//greg// ....

Link:   Water Jacket Cavitation

Go Top

Share This

Member Login