Go Bottom

AgraCat 2920 Jinma 254

View my Photos
kalpia
Posts: 77 Extreme Western on the beautiful St. Croix River, WI
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-12-10          158496

First - Merry Christmas to all. I'm in W. Wisc., have a 2003 AgraCat 2920 (25hp/4wd). Great little CUT w/FEL, my issue is the 3-point is slow to raise if it'll raise at all. Qustion - where's the best place to check for hydraulic level and if low what type to add? If level is OK, what should I look for?

kalpia at hotmial.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

AgraCat 2920 Jinma 254

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-12-10          158500

Has it become slow to raise with the onset of colder weather? ....

AgraCat 2920 Jinma 254

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-12-10          158501

Since you're asking this about a 5 year old tractor, I'm guessing you just bought it used. If so, the seller should have provided you with 4 manuals (2 tractor/2 engine). If not, I'd advise contacting a dealer and buy a set.

Briefly, the hydraulic fill/vent is beneath and to the rear of the operator seat. I have to slide mine forward to access it. For your part of the country, I'd recommend AW32 hydraulic fluid. And it's important to confirm that you're buying AW32 hydraulic fluid, not AW32 machine oil. Machine oil will likely foam on you.

But that in itself may not fix your problem. The most common reason for slow to warm up hydraulics is thick fluid. If there's 30 weight in there now, that's at least part of the problem. AW32 is 10 weight. You may need to drain/flush and completely refill with AW32

I'd have to check my book to make sure, but I think the basic capacity is about 6 quarts. Yours will take more because of the loader cylinders and hoses.

//greg// ....

AgraCat 2920 Jinma 254

View my Photos
kalpia

2008-12-10          158503

I bought this new back in '03 and it was much quicker until about a year ago when I have it worked on. The PTO engage gear came off and I had it fixed. I have noticed that there is some leakage on the shed floor so I may have a bad seal also.

Any other hints? Thanks to both of you for the quick reply. ....

AgraCat 2920 Jinma 254

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-12-10          158505

There is no relationship between the PTO linkage and the hydraulics. But if the hydraulic sump had to be removed to repair the PTO linkage, that might be the cause of the leak. Any time the sump is removed, a new gasket should be installed. But that should NOT be related to cold weather sluggishness of the hitch and steering.

My SWAG is that the suction screen inside the hydraulic sump coincidentally needs to be either cleaned or replaced. It's clogged when cold, a condition that is conditionally relieved once the fluid thins during warmup

But you've got no manuals at all? And you've managed to get by for 5 years without adding hydraulic fluid? Oh, one other thing - and this isn't really all that important - but you referred to your AgraCat as a 2920. I have a 2003 AgraCat pricelist, it reflects a 2940A, a 2940I, and a 2940T - but no 2920. So I was just curious about the model number. (

//greg// ....

AgraCat 2920 Jinma 254

View my Photos
kalpia

2008-12-17          158614

Thanks Greg. I thought that the badge said 2920 but can't be sure now, I don't really look at that anymore. Yes, I have the manuals and I haven't had any serious problems with Aggie for a while. I did replace the injector about 4 years ago but that's it. I suspect that you're right about most of this; I think I'll need to flush the system and change the screen when it gets warmer (June). In the mean time I think I'll just add some AW32 to see if that helps.

Merry Christmas and Happy '09 to all ....

AgraCat 2920 Jinma 254

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-12-17          158615

The lifter capacity is 9 liters. If you have a loader, the total capacity is even higher. So - unless your sump is nearly dry - topping up with a little AW32 isn't likely to make a noticeable difference. Won't hurt, but ain't likely to help.

If you don't use the tractor during the winter - or can afford to wait the necessary warmup time - you might get by till June. But understand that - if that suction screen is badly clogged - pump damage due is possible during the warmup period. For regular winter use I'd suggest draining out whatever's in there, and putting in a fresh fill of AW32. The thinner fluid will have less difficulty getting through a cold/dirty screen. Then come spring you can clean the suction screen and flush the system.

//greg// ....

AgraCat 2920 Jinma 254

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-12-17          158616

There is a quite comprehensive site called, if I remember right, Chinese Tractor Owners Association. ....

AgraCat 2920 Jinma 254

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-12-17          158617

As Greg said you my have a pickup screen that is clogged. If the fluid has appeared milky that is a good indication of water in the fluid. A pickup screen will ice over with water and starve a pump. If you can get the tractor in a warm building for several days till everything internally is warm then drain it and replace with new fluid and filters. I have no knowledge of your specific tractor, but check your owhers manual for the instructions on cleaning the pickup screen. Merry Christmas. Frank. ....

AgraCat 2920 Jinma 254

View my Photos
kalpia

2008-12-21          158763

Well it's definitely a 2920, 25hpx4wd but we all know how casual these things were badged.

Quick questions, under the seat towards the rear is a bolt head that's painted RED and a tube that sticks up with a rubber end. I'm guessing the tube is the breather, is the bolt that's painted RED where I would add the AW32 or can it be added thru the breather?

We just had a little blizard and it's time to move some snow. The FEL seems to work fine as does the PS. The blade on the 3 point is the bugger. It would be much handier if it worked as it should; make that driveway so pretty.

Thanks to all ....

AgraCat 2920 Jinma 254

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-12-21          158766

Is there a blade problem apart from the slow lifting? ....

AgraCat 2920 Jinma 254

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-12-21          158769

Under the red cap, you should find the dipstick. Assuming that to be true, then yes - that's where hydraulic fluid is added.

And about the rear blade, elaborate please. I'm not sure if the problem is with how slow the blade goes UP - or back down? Your answer can point to two completely different solutions.

//greg// ....

AgraCat 2920 Jinma 254

View my Photos
kalpia

2008-12-21          158770

Thanks, I thought the RED painted bolt was the fill location but wanted to be very sure, I hate pouring stuff into the wrong place.

The blade is a standard 60" blade, no problem with it. The issue is raising it, gravity lowers it so that part seems to work if I can get it up (insert your own joke here if desired!). Yes, with our very cold weather, -12F this morning, I don't expect the hydraulics to jump right away but after running if for an hour it should at least move. Again, I'm taling about the rear 3 point ONLY. Steering and FEL work pretty good once they've warmed up. I took the blade off and just used the bucket to clean the driveway, that way I don't have to drag it.

This spring I'm going to add a switch for the glow plugs (tired of holding that key for 60 seconds to get it to fire) and put in new hydra fluid and clean that filter but that doesn't do me any good now. In fact I'll give it a complete fluid/filter change and check all the other things that should be checked.

Separate questions - Does the low compression help it start when it's cold? I've never used it but that must be what it's for. Right?

Thanks

AgraCat 2920 Jinma 254

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-12-21          158773

By "low compression", I presume you mean COMPRESSION RELEASE. If yes, then by all means use it. The primary purpose of the compression release is to ease cold starting. Secondarily, it reduces stress on the starting system. I open mine, and crank the starter with an eye on the oil pressure gauge. Soon as I seen the needle indicate pressure is building, I let go of the compression release.

About the rear lift. Only thing hydraulic I can think of now (short of the drain/flush/clean screen/AW32 route) is that the divertor valve might be dirty. It's up in front of your right foot. Follow the hydraulic hose back from the pump, then it goes into a metal housing. Out of the housing comes one hose for the steering, and the other continues on back to the lift. If that's dirty, it could be stuck feeding the steering and starving the lift.

I've never done it, but I've read it's a simple job to disassemble and clean. Probably messy though.

//greg// ....

AgraCat 2920 Jinma 254

View my Photos
kalpia

2008-12-21          158776

Definitely worth checking but it'll all have to wait for the weather to get to at least 20F, just to cold for it now.

Thanks to all and enjoy the Holidays. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login