Go Bottom

Agracat 2940 year 2000 4x4 Price 4500

View my Photos
blinkvisuals
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-10-04          166162

Looking at a friends tractor. He has maintained it well, Has about 3,500 hours on it. Has a Koyker Loader, a box scraper off back and a 50" mower deck. Not very familiar with this tractor, easy to fix? Easy to find parts now and maybe 15-years down the road? A lot of maintenance?

I will use it to clear snow and grade about a 400ft. (hilly) driveway. Cut about 2-acres of grass. Help with loading and tree removal, general yard work and landscaping. Live in WI so winters are cold, I know he has a block heater on it with a plug in.

Any thoughts? Priced right? Will this work for my needs?

I’m a newbie, and appreciate any advice. Thank You!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-10-04          166164

Best place to ask is the Chinese Tractor Owners Association. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-10-04          166165

That's the same basic tractor as the 25hp Jinma (JM254). Parts will not be a problem in the near term, but in 15 years? I wouldn't speculate that you could even buy John Deere parts in 15 years.

Anyway, the JM254s of that vintage that I owned retailed for about $6000 new. So at first glance, $4500 doesn't sound like a real bargain - especially if it's got that many hours. So before I can give anything more concrete about the asking price, would you be so kind as to clear up a couple things? Are you sure about 3500 hours? That's a helluva lot for a 9 years old CUT. And 60" mowers are quite common, I just never heard of a 50". Would that be a finish mower - or a rotary cutter?

//greg// ....

View my Photos
blinkvisuals

2009-10-04          166166

I will have to double check on that as far as the mower. That being said I found out that it is 2000 hours, thing is the hour meter is broken and has been for several years so he is guessing. I had it written down wrong.

If you could check back tomorrow and I should have the deck issue cleared.

Thank you for your time, really appreciate it! ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-10-05          166168

Ok, and while you're doing that - I'll address the maintenance. Four manuals come with those tractors, one of which contains the tractor maintenance schedule. Besides the usual daily stuff, there are defined lists of things to be done at 50/250/500 and 1000 hours. One of the engine manuals has a similar section; daily/100/500 and 1000 hour maintenance items.Too bad the hour meter's inop - it's a very low cost replacement item. It would make me suspicious about what else DIDN'T get done.

The loader would have been about a $2000 option in 2000, and also has a maintenance schedule. Relative to the asking price, the boxblade is probably of inconsequentional value by now. Details of the mower will help round out the picture. A pessimist might guess that the fella bought a $9000 package 9 years ago - rode it hard, put it away wet - and is lookin' to get half his money back.

The point I'm working towards is whether or not the asking price reflects reasonable adherence to the manufacturer's maintenance schedules. If no, walk away. If yes, you might have found a bargain. Loose/broken/missing items are usually a good indication that maintenance was not high on the owner's priority list. But even a good cosmetic appearance can be misleading, because you can't see what's going on inside. Considering a potential $4500 investment, paying to test fluids - engine oil/gear oil/hydraulic fluid/coolant - would be prudent.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
blinkvisuals

2009-10-05          166171

Ok Greg this is what the guy sent me this monring:

Okay It's a 25hp Diesel 4x4 Agracat tractor also can go under the name of Jinma, FarmTrac or FarmPro it's Chinese made. It has the upgrade Turf tires and the upgrade dash cluster that the tach does not work ( some upgrade ) it quit a few years back @ 100hrs roughly, although it started working while mowing a few weeks back.The tractor as a best guess has less than 2000 hrs. It also has a 540 /1000 rpm PTO which is nice for mowing you can lower the eng. rpm's and use the 1000 rpm range when the grass is not as thick. Operators discression of what range to use.
The tractor has the Koyker quick attach loader ( not the quick attach bucket for skidsteers ) with a upgrade 6 ft bucket not the 5ft.
It will come with a 5ft Muritori finish mower, 5ft Box blade ( great for gravel driveways) and 7ft back blade ( plowing snow).
I changed the oil every spring and before winter every year except for when I went to Iraq in 06-08'. I also put in a small 8" elec. pusher cooling fan for mowing on the 90 degree plus days the tractor ran to hot for my taste and the fan did the trick but you have to remember to shut off or it will drain the battery. I use the same swith to run my added plow lights mounted to the ROPS I just unplug one terminal and plug in the other at the season change. Here is the BIG HELP it has a 600w block heater for the winter. Use this about an hour or two before you need to use it and it starts every time right off the bat.
I feel the $4500 is a fair price for what I have as a package. I've seen on Craig's list the same tractor with just the loader for $6500.
This tractor is not new any more the only down side is that in the cold winter the hyd are really slow until warmed up. Last year I tried some thing new and worked great. What I did is I purchased a oil dipstick heater from the local auto shop and stuck it into my Hyd oil fill reservoir location and it kept the oil warm, until my son forgot to pull it out and slid the seat back over the fill location and bent it beyond its limits for use. I have to give him credit he did unplug it.

He is a mechanic in the services and works on fixing helicopters I think the Air force? Anyways he said the normal maintenance of changing oil and coolant and some other liquids but that for the most part all that has gone wrong. He is the only owner and but it new.

What’s your take? ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-10-05          166176

Give it a pass. Judging by the text, he probably didn't even know there WAS a maintenance schedule. Most tractors that size use a 4' bucket, the hydraulics just aren't rated for what a 5 footer can lift. And this guy has been using a 6 footer (?) I have a Koyker 160 on my 35hp tractor, with the 5' bucket and 2" cylinder upgrade. But I wouldn't even think about putting a six foot bucket onner.

Same with the boxblade. The 254 is reasonably sized for a 4 footer. Considering the turf tires, I'd say a 5 footer is a bit much. Probably the 7 foot scraper blade too. And having owned both ags and turfs, I don't think I'd consider turf tires an "upgrade". Only thing sized right is the finish mower.

Dipstick heaters are just accidents waiting to happen. The fact he didn't know enough to go to a thinner hydraulic fluid - speaks volumes. As does the tach thing. His description suggests the problem could have been fixed with a simple adjustment of the sending unit. Same with the pusher fan. My guess is that he's never cleaned the radiator fins. The placement of the battery in front of the radiator caused the them to clog with weed seed/dust/chaff/etc. That's a daily maintenance check, pure and simple. So I doubt seriously that much - if any - of the scheduled maintenance was ever conducted.

The guy's answers indicate clearly that he's not an experienced tractor operator (much less mechanic).Your choice, but I personally wouldn't consider it at any price.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-10-05          166177

Greg, very quick to say you know these tractors and I know very very little about them but a couple of points if I may:

In his last post he changed the mower to 5 foot and the box blade is 5 foot and then a 7 foot blade for snow.

In reading his comments in blinkvisual's last post it made me think he was selling someone else's tractor just the way parts were worded but could be totally wrong there. Just wondering, have you seen the tractor? The price and tractor package are in the parameters of some scams out there on eBay and Craigslist. Of those I have seen all have been Kubota, JD or New Holland. If it is a scam when you get to the point of ready to see it, it will move on you to another city. Will be boxed and ready to ship but you can not pick it up.

If you can find out the honest why he is wanting to sell might tell you a lot. Did he move from where he needed it to town or such. Or did he buy a bigger outfit? ....

View my Photos
blinkvisuals

2009-10-06          166209

Well thanks Greg, you know a lot more than I do. Yes I have seen it, it is actually parked in my backyard. He was over clearing out some trees (that I ok’d) for his wood burner.

That does concern me with all the “oversized” stuff that has got to wear on things over time. He seems like a good guy, but like you said Maintenance is a big thing which I’m not to sure about. I think I may pass then.

I really would like to get into something with a bucket (mainly) and with a 3-point hitch so I can do some lanscaping and yard work and some light plowing (snow on driveway). I have budgeted about $4500 so what direction should I go in? Keep pursuing one of these tractors? Something different? A dealer who has one like this, cheap, and well maintained? I can always drive a trailer somewhere and bring it home. Any help?

Again thanks so much for helping me. As you can tell pretty new to this utility tractor stuff. I have a JD 425 garden tractor that has served me well (just for mowing). So whatever I get into (not being a good mechanic) I need something that can be maintained fairly easily and serviced/parts bought within a reasonable price. Just a novice, but can learn :-) ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-10-06          166214

How close are you to Oconomowoc? If it's a reasonable distance, use http://www.deljen.com/contactus.htm to get ahold of Ryan Delaney. Once he knows your requirements and/or intentions, he's quite capable of making the appropriate recommendations. Alternatively there's D&G Equipment in Rhinelander, but I haven't done business with them personally. Or would you be better off crossing over into MN (?)

//greg// ....

View my Photos
blinkvisuals

2009-10-06          166216

I guess either IA, MN, WI... Not in any rush. Stick with this brand AGRACAT or what? I did a little searching and any JD they want a fortune unless its like 1960’s and beat on, also Kubotas. I definitely need 4WD. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-10-06          166218

Naw, AgraCat went bust in 2003. The folks who bought them are just lucky that they're really Jinmas underneath. The current selection of Chinese tractors imported to the USA includes Jinma (like the AgraCat), Foton, DF, YTO. But to confuse the issue thoroughly, individual dealers can opt to have them "badged" by the factory. That is, they're Jinma or Foton or DF tractors underneath, but are being sold with special paint and/or decals to look like a product unique to a specific dealer or distributor.

But the color and the decals are just cosmetic, and the prices are going to reasonably competitive - but decidedly cheaper than the Japanese/Korean/Indian tractors hiding under "American" paint and decals. What's important is whether you have confidence that the dealer you buy from will back you up during the warranty period. After that, mail order parts from any like dealer are usually the name of the game. For example, I get nearly all my parts from a dealer over in Arkansas. Phone or email before noon, parts arrive 2-3 days later.

//greg// ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login