Go Bottom

Tractor smoking and throwing oil

View my Photos
jfifield
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-04-06          169787

I have a 2007 Jinma 454 that started blowing smoke (white, blue-grey and then oil from the exhaust pipe. Found a vacuum line had blown off, so replaced it. Also cleaned the air filter. Found no oil in the water, nor water in the oil. Any ideas what is causing this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-04-06          169790

Sounds like a broken ring. I had a Perkins diesel that did the same. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-04-06          169793

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfifield | view 169787
Found no oil in the water, nor water in the oil. Any ideas what is causing this?
I'd first check the crankcase breather. If they're not cleaned regularly, they will clog. They're supposed to "strain" the oil-laden crankcase fumes. The metal elements separate the oil from the fumes; the idea being that the gasses exit the outlet, and the oil drips back into the sump. When they get clogged, the separation is hindered - even stopped, and the whole sloppy mess goes straight to the outlet tube.

The metal strainer element should be removeable. Wash it in diesel fuel and wipe out the cannister. If the element is fixed, take the whole cannister off the engine and wash it out. One of mine isn't very efficient, and smokes a lot even when clean. In the case of that one, I lengthened the outlet with vinyl tubing - and routed the fumes under the tractor.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2010-04-06          169796

My Cadet blows grey smoke when under a heavy load but seems normal under general use. The oil on the dipstick isn't a dark color like I would normally think from bad rings. It doesn't seem to be throwing oil and doesn't consume much.

Do you think I have a bad ring as well? ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-04-06          169798

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperpete | view 169796
Do you think I have a bad ring as well?
Doesn't sound like it to me. More likely the injection pump could use a little tweak. But if you're really concerned, do a simple compression test.

//greg// ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login