Go Bottom

Farm Pro 2420 PTO Jumps out of gear

View my Photos
tomzah
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-04-14          169990

I am looking at a 2420 that is about 5 years old thats been poorly maintained. The PTO 540/1000 RPM lever keeps popping out of high speed. Neutral and low speed is ok. The oil pressure is at .2 and stays there throughout the rpm range (normal or bad sender?) There appears to be water infiltration in the transmission oil (milky). Engine oil although black was OK and the motor starts easily. 2wd 2420 3cly 380 motor 5' finish mower, 4' bushhog,4'box scrapper $2000. Buy or run away??
Tom P.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-04-14          169992

Buy it, the problems you describe sound minor. Poorly maintained yes, but also likely remedied without major expense.
1. OPSU is adjustable.
a. loosen jam nut behind OPSU enough to where you can rotate the sending unit by hand
b. turn keyswitch to ON
c. rotate OPSU both ways and watch for corresponding movement on the gauge
d. if gauge moves, rotate OPSU till needle indicates 0 psi.
e. tighten jam nut.
Obviously if that doesn't work, further troubleshooting is required.
2. PTO speed select usually has ball detente system to hold it in position. Check for dirt in the high speed hole. Even then it's not a significant issue, because most CUT owners in this country don't have implements that require 1000 rpm anyway
3. Drain/flush/refill gear boxes with fresh non-foaming 80W90. I recommend flushing with kerosene.
4. Drain/flush/refill engine with fresh 15W40 diesel engine oil. Do the injection pump while you're at it. Any auto parts store flush will do for the engine, kero for the pump.
Probably a good idea to flush the hydraulics and cooling system too.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
richwaugh

2010-04-14          170010

Sure, I'd buy it! As Greg noted, those are minor issues from the sound of them. The implements would cost you darn near that much if you had to buy them separately and you should get years of dependable service from that tractor once you've sorted out the minor issues.

If you can't get that oil gauge to give yo better readings than that, I'd definitely replace it with a mechanical one. Adequate oil pressure is absolutely critical to the life of any IC engine, but more so on a diesel. A gauge you can believe is cheap insurance. That said, your static pressure reading may be because the gauge is not reading anything and is "zeroed" at 2, or it could be that the sender is either fouled, not working or has a wiring issue. I'd spend an hour troubleshooting it and then, if I didn't have it working right, install a mechanical and forget it. I would NOT run that tractor without a working oil pressure gauge. ....

View my Photos
tomzah

2010-04-15          170024

Thankyou guys for your help. I hope to get out to the site and do my final inspection. I hope to close on the tractor soon.
Thanks
Tom P ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login