Go Bottom

ty290 20 hp fuel pump

View my Photos
aj2097
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-08-08          172917

I have a 2000,200 agracat and the motor is dripping diesel
out of the fuel pump through a small tube behind the hand bleeder pump. Is it supposed to do this or is somethong wrong

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

ty290 20 hp fuel pump

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-09          172921

It means the sump is over full, and that the overflow spout is doing its job. These pumps are prone to a little internal leakage, and diesel fuel slowly dilutes the lube oil. Most of the time it's not serious when tended it's to as soon as noticed - or put on the scheduled maintenance list. If it's not remedied in time though, it can lead to pump failure (diesel fuel doesn't lubricate nearly as well as lube oil).

I do mine twice a year; drain completely, then refill with compressor oil. 15W40 engine oil works too. The mushroom looking thing on the top is the fill/vent. There should also be a little dipstick, and a small drain plug on the bottom.

//greg// ....

ty290 20 hp fuel pump

View my Photos
aj2097

2010-08-09          172964

Greg , So when I drain it and fill it back up with oil it will stop leaking? ....

ty290 20 hp fuel pump

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-09          172969

Nope.

But if you only refill to the line on the dipstick, it will stop dripping out the overflow. For a while anyway. Over time more diesel fuel will mix with the oil you put in, and it will start dripping out the overflow again. That's why I drain and refill mine twice a year - with an idea of keeping it from getting any worse. So far that approach has worked for six years.

But if yours starts dripping too soon - or you find yourself draining and refilling too often - it probably means a new pump.

//greg// ....

ty290 20 hp fuel pump

View my Photos
aj2097

2010-08-10          173001

Greg I found what looks like mushroom looking intake on the governor end of the injection pump but I cant find any thing that looks like a dip stick and in my motor manual I don't see on. thanks ....

ty290 20 hp fuel pump

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-08-10          173008

It's a tiny little thing - probably not more than 2" overall - usually on the front side. Not all pumps have them though. In those cases, there's a drain plug on the side. You remove that, fill till fluid drips out - then stop. Replace the side plug and top fill/vent. Job done.

//greg// ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login