Go Bottom

Agracat 2920 Hydraulic fluid change

View my Photos
midegim
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-11-23          175316

Ok I bought this tractor new in 2001. To be honest it's largely been great with little issues. Needed a new starter last year. The two stage PTO clutch doesn't work and it leaks front axle fluid. I've only put on 325 hours in all this time. The thing I want to address is the hydraulics. They are extremely slow in the winter. Of course at 0 degrees and less that may be expected but I wonder about the fluid perhaps being contaminated. It is still original fluid as is everything but the engine oil. I haven't even changed the fuel filter but that is getting done today. I can't find anything in the book about the procedure for exchanging the hydraulic fluid. Is there a resource that explains this somewhere?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-11-23          175319

Your hydraulic fluid is probably sludge by now, and the suction filter has almost certainly collapsed. Jinma ships those tractors with used engine oil in the sumps, just as a preservative. First thing new owners (or responsible dealers) should do is drain out ALL the Asian fluids and replace with proper domestic stuff.

The hydraulic sump is under the seat. The drain is above and to the left of the PTO output shaft. It's a hex bolt head that looks out of place compared to the others. The fill/vent and dipstick is directly behind the seat. The suction filter is below a triangular plate below and to the left of the seat.

Having been in there so long, a kerosene flush is imperative. The site search engine will come up with the how-to for Chinese tractors. You'll almost certainly need a new suction screen, obtainable from most Jinma dealers. Once the hydraulic system has been properly flushed of the sludge - and the suction screen has been replaced - refill with a proper AW32 hydraulic fluid. You'll be astounded at the difference.

When you're happy with your hydraulics, c'mon back and we'll tackle the clutch thing

//greg// ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-11-23          175320

Thanks Greg.

You're always a great help with these issues.

I learned something today. Much appreciated.

Joel ....

View my Photos
midegim

2010-11-23          175321

Well, The hydraulics work fine they just get slow in the winter. I'm sure the dealer changed them from the factory gunk. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-11-23          175323

Even if true, NINE YEARS without a fluid change or suction screen check? Really - thickened fluid and/or clogged suctions screens slow down hydraulics. And as winter approaches, fluids get thicker yet. I still maintain that your solution lies in flushing the hydraulic system, replacing the suction screen, and refilling with a decent non-foaming AW32 hydraulic fluid

//greg// ....

View my Photos
midegim

2010-11-23          175325

Ya know I looked at that area. I don't see any way of getting to the screen. There is a plastic/fiberglass cover over the whole area. The dump and flush is a fine idea, maybe if it gets warmer. Like to freeze today just changing engine oil and filter, fuel filter and antifreeze. Topped off the hydraulic fluid only to find most of it on the floor later anyway. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-11-24          175326

I'll take your word that there's fiberglass there, I've just never seen an AgraCat constructed that way. But even then it's a maintenance part, and should be accessible without tearing down the tractor. Is there an access hole in the fiberglass big enough to see where the steel hydraulic line makes a 90 degree turn - through a triangular cover plate - and disappears into the sump? When sitting in the seat, it's down and to the left. If yes, you simply unscrew the steel line at the hex coupling, then remove the 3 bolts holding the plate to the housing. After that, the suction screen lifts straight up and out. Hopefully it hasn't already self-destructed, leaving parts of itself in the sump.

If hydraulic fluid is spewing out the fill/vent (behind the seat), you're overfilling the sump. On mine there's one mark on the little dipstick under the fill/vent. I consider that the FULL mark. And you read threaded Asian dipsticks after just sitting them ON the hole. Don't screw them all the way in just to read the level. I only top up my hydraulic fluid when the dipstick comes out dry. And even then, I only refill to the mark on the bottom of the stick.

It could also be caused by foaming hydraulic fluid. That's typically caused by
(1)a leak, usually between the sump and the pump. These are not typically a drip type leak. Because it's on the suction side, it simply suck air in through the leak where it mixes with the fluid on the way to the pump
(2) wrong fluid. It's imperative to use regular hydraulic fluid, which by design contains anti-foaming additives. Some folks try to save money by using UTF or R&O oil, others don't realize there's a difference between AW32 machine oil (no anti-foam additives) and AW32 hydraulic fluid
(3) old/wet/contaminated hydraulic fluid. After 9 years, yours might qualify.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
midegim

2010-11-24          175331

I forgot the part about not screwing in the threaded sticks. it isn't foamy so I am sure I just overfilled it.

The cover is there and no access available. I'm just going to get through this winter unless we get some warmer days again. I am sure the plastic will come off, anything will with the right size hammer (just kidding).

I appreciate all of your knowledge. You have been a blessing so far in my comfort level. There is little I can't do but sometimes I have a hard time getting started in new territory. ....

View my Photos
sjcozy

2011-05-20          178560

We need help finding a filter for our inline hydraulic suction filter. we looked under our seat but did not find another filter in the tank. Can you helpus ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2011-05-20          178562

I'm guessing it's a spin-on canister. If you can determine the hole size (diameter, thread count, etc) and rubber seal diameter I can try to help you find one from there. If it's a cartridge type though, that makes it more difficult without a photo.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
sjcozy

2011-05-26          178628

Hi Greg
thank you for the reply,what i am trying to find is a inline filter that goes in the suction side of the pump it's a all metal screen filter thats about 1.5 inch in dia ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2011-05-26          178633

Oh. Well I guessed wrong then. Is it one of these that you're looking for?

//greg//

View my Photos
sjcozy

2011-05-26          178640

i can't figure out how to get a pic on here if you give me your email i will send it to you mine is deershorn2002@yahoo.com ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login