Go Bottom

Farm Pro 2425 Front drive shaft

View my Photos
pickinpough
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-02-24          177005

I need to replace the snap ring on the front of the drive shaft, someone had previously had it apart and it has an end broken off. What I need to know is how to remove the drive shaft and what parts I might need on reassembly besides the snap ring. i.e. seals? The clutch was replaced by a dealer before I bought the tractor and it looks like someone had tried to force the snap ring over the drive shaft and broke an end off.
Thanks Mike

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-02-24          177009

Each end has a snap ring (actually a 24mm circlip). Remove the back one, push shaft rearward to compress the spring that holds it in place. That should slide the front of the shaft out of the front coupler. That should then permit you to remove the entire drive shaft, and make it easier to get at that broken clip. Don't do this on grass, there are six steel coupler balls on each end (under the dust caps). They're prone to falling out when the spring tension is released.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
pickinpough
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-02-28          177093

Thanks Greg,

I just ran it up to my shop to drop that drive line and the selector lever broke. I did take the top cover off and remove the lever. I have the parts on order, but I do have one question, I want to drain the oil and flush the trans out, I found a drain plug below under the hi-low part of the trans and removed it. Not much came out and the level in the trans is about the same. Got any ideas? I started to use a suction gun and that will work but I really wanted to clean it out.

Thanks Mike ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-02-28          177103

The mid-connect housing, the transfer case, the tranny, and the rear diff all share the same gear oil. There are oil passages between all the individual housings. Drain plugs: (a) under the mid-connect, (b) side of the transfer case, (c) under the tranny, (d) under the rear diff (one for sure, sometimes two)

//greg// ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login