Go Bottom

used jinma tractor for sale - advise please

View my Photos
newtrac
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-02-17          182447

I am considering buying a used Jinma 435 with 25 hours use, with jinma backhoe, wood chipper, front loader and rototiller. The owner says everything works. The only problem is with the backhoe which he says has some cracks next to the bucket. He wants $13,500 for everything.

Is this a worthwhile buy, or am I just buying problems? I have no prior experience with tractors.

Thanks in advance

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-02-17          182449

Unaware of a model 435. I'm guessing you mean JM354. If the backhoe and front loader are Chinese, you should personally test operate both to see if you're satisfied with the hydraulics. Most quickly find them jerky and erratic, which is why you see so many Chinese tractors wearing aftermarket (American or Korean). Next - 25 hours doesn't necessarily mean "almost new". We should know what model year this machine is. You can get that info off the engine plate and/or the tractor plate. Not to mention that you should visually confirm that the hour meter actually works.

And "cracks next to the bucket" is a little vague. There's a big difference between bucket repair and boom replacement especially if it's Chinese.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
newtrac

2012-02-18          182450

Thanks Greg. I'll find this stuff out when I go see the tractor and post back here.

Is the price at least where it should be? ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-02-18          182452

Unable to determine with info provided to date. Update us, and I'll be better able to quantify the asking price. If the BH and FEL are Chinese, I'd personally pass it up - especially at that price. The implements - Chinese or otherwise - represent pretty much the same story. So it would also help to know if everything's the same age, or if it's a case of a newer tractor with older implements.?

//greg// ....

View my Photos
richwaugh

2012-02-18          182453

A new one with a loader would be around $15,000, a backhoe would add 3-4K, 1K for a rototiller, 1.5K for the chipper. Personally, if it is all in good condition apart from needing a bit of minor welding on the backhoe bucket, I might go as much as $11,000 for the lot. I think $13.5K is too high. Now, that's based on what I see advertised on the 'net and the market in your particular area may be different.

A very big factor in the durability of Chinese tractors is how they are set up by the dealer before sale - done right, these are good tractors. Not done, or done wrong, you'll have a machine that will have constant problems and a short life. You should find out about where the tractor came from originally and how it was set up prior to delivery. Was the clutch adjusted? All fluids changed to new American fluid? That sort of thing make a huge difference.

The cracks in the backhoe might be nothing to worry about or they might indicate either flaws in manufacture or abuse by the user. Abused equipment should be avoided unless it is so cheap you can afford to rebuild it. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2012-02-18          182455

Rich has a good point about set-up before purchase (or first use). It's not as common anymore, but a few folks who've never owned a tractor before have it in their head that they can save money by buying a crate tractor from a broker. Not a few have dug their own hole by trying to assemble a machine that they technically know nothing about. Finding out that paying someone else to do it would end up costing more than if they'd have purchased one from a competent dealer, they try to unload their "almost new" mistake on an unsuspecting public.

That said, there are fly-by-night "dealers" too, that are demonstrably short on asssembly skills and/or competent service-before-sale. Fortunately it seems more folks are performing their due diligence before purchase, which may account for why these unfortunate "crate" cases and "shady" dealers/sellers are thinning out.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
newtrac

2012-02-18          182456

Thanks for your advise guys. I will take everything you said into consideration when I go see the tractor.

One problem is that the guy selling it says he is not the owner. The real owner moved to Canada and asked this guy to sell it for him.

What he's told me so far is that the machine is a few years old, the implements are practically new and the tractor has less than 25 hours on it.

I will see what else I can find out and report back. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2012-02-18          182457

Sounds like a fair asking price on a low-hours, comprehensive package. But the argument could be advanced that a novice should buy from a local established dealer in a reputable brand (like Kubota or Deere) who'll look after him. This one, you apparently won't even have the former owner to fall back on.

At the least, pretend you own it and need a set of filters and, say, a piston ring and a head gasket. Don't believe the seller's assurances -- find out.

Oh yes -- and an engine service manual. In proper English, specific to that engine, and normally illustrated.

About this "owner in Canada," if the seller is being trusted with a five-figure transaction, he should have a means of contacting the owner. So get the name and address or phone, and I'll try to have a word with him. No contact possible? That would be way too fishy for me. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2012-02-18          182458

If nothing else, you need to know where it was originally purchased and see some evidence that it was purchased legally. Unlike cars there is no VIN number tracking but people have bought stolen tractors before only to have the cops show up and confiscate them. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2012-02-18          182459

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtrac | view 182456
One problem is that the guy selling it says he is not the owner. The real owner moved to Canada and asked this guy to sell it for him.
Yeah, this deal is sounding worse and worse. First the possibility of a Chinese FEL and BH, and then no verification of ownership. If the loader and hoe turn out to be American or Korean AND proof of ownership is verified, $13.5k is not unreasonable. But if it's got the Chinese loader and hoe, you've got room to negotiate (assuming you even find their operation acceptable).

//greg// ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login