Go Bottom

Jinma 284 Possible injector problem

View my Photos
Dan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-20          83769

I was running my tractor tonight when suddenly it started knocking and started smoking black. By the time I got back to my yard it had cleared up. This has happend twice in the last 3 hours of operation but by the time I get the hood open its running fine. Dose any one have a suggestion?
The fuel is new and clean.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-20          83773

Have you checked the air filter? Mice seem to like using air filter paper for nesting material. You could have chunks of paper getting sucked into your intake.

If the air cleaner checks out ok, what is your temp gauge doing when the exhaust goes black?

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Dan

2004-04-21          83786

I checked the air filter it was fine. And the temp gauge was in the normal range. ....

View my Photos
chipuren

2004-04-21          83787

There is a strainer screen in the banjo bolt where the fuel line feeds into the primary pump (below the hand pump)
You might pull that and make sure it is clean.

Problems that come and go are hard to chase down... ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-21          83789

OK Dan

What Chip said. Plus, I think it would be advisable to check for a hydraulic fluid flow problem. Are you working any hydraulic type implements at the time - trying to steer perhaps?

There is an intake filter inside the reserviour under your seat. It could be intermittenly blocked, partially collapsed, or disentegrating. Chunks of filter material could be trying to get through your hydraulic pump. And the bottom bolt holding the filter to the intake pipe assembly has been known to drop out too.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-21          83797

Similar to some of Greg's thinking, we should distinguish between this problem and normal full-throttle operation. Hydraulics, dragging brakes and a few things could make a tractor go to the max fuel delivery position and the problem might be intermittent. On my Ford, I'd describe max fuel delivery at slow idle as the engine labours and makes gray smoke--I wouldn't describe the sound as a knock though.

Black smoke usually is associated with restricted air intake, high temp or bad fuel, but low compression and a few other things can do it. Most causes aren't intermittent though. Excessive fuel delivery from a faulty governor might do it and is better candidate for an intermittent problem. The fuel can be turned up on purpose to get more HP from an engine to the point where it might make black smoke and that would be normal. I guess there's a small chance that the tractor is supposed to do that the way it's set up and what's happening is something causing it to go to max fuel delivery. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-21          83807

The knocking sound and balck smoke could also be caused by excessive fuel delivery to one cylinder.

Debris which has passed the filters and pump but is trapped at the injector tip can cause this to happen. If it occassionally jams the injector tip open causing a large fuel dump into that cylinder it would result in EXACTLY that set of symptoms.

If that is the case the only real solution is to pull all the injectors and send them to an injector shop for a cleaning and overhaul. This is not expensive and is more of a PITA than anything else, it's usually pretty cheap too, up here it's $10 per injector.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Dan

2004-04-21          83879

Well I worked on the tractor today I found that the injection pump was about 4 OZ low on oil. I ran it hard and it did not act up any more. I am hoping that that was the problem. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2004-04-22          83905

Actually, I think 4oz is pretty close to the total capacity. Even at that, I've never run across an occurence of low pump lube as being the root cause of the problem you described. Please post a followup when you've concluded this is the final fix.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
ibngriz

2004-04-22          83988

I had that same problem. I fixed mine with new fuel and power service additive.I have a 2425 FarmPro and I spoke to the plant manager where the assemble them and he said they do have problems with the injectors.When this happened to mine I was really pissed but the people at FarmPro helped me through it and I haven't had a problem since. ....

View my Photos
Dan

2004-04-22          83997

Did you have to replace any of the injectors or did the power service clear it up? ....

View my Photos
ibngriz

2004-04-22          84019

The Power Service cleared it up.I have run it pretty good since that and have had no problems. ....

View my Photos
Dan

2004-04-24          84171

Put power service in it today ran it for 2 hours and it runs great. Thanks for the advice. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-25          84195

Now that's a good outcome. I usually think of using additives in old engines that sat around for a long while. Can't knock what ever works though. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login