Go Bottom

power question on 4000 3000 series

View my Photos
dougski
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-10-01          135614

Why is john deere charging thousands of dollars more in the 3000 and 4000 series tractors for additional horsepower on the same engine.
It seems to me they are merely increaseing the injector pump size,the injector size, or both, then charging you an enormous amount.
I am asking because I am in the market for a newer JD and horsepower matters, however, it is expensive. Could I buy a lesser hp tractor in the same series, fix up the injectors and have a better tractor?

doug

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-01          135617

A few things to consider. Turbo vs. normal aspiration for one. Also, JD is notorious for charging a lot for incremental hp increases, and also for lots of mistakes on their sales literature. I wouldn't bet that their engine numbers are correct. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-01          135618

It is an old trick the engine is the same and the power is just turned up with the pump to increase fuel flow. Naturally you loose efficiency.
In the outboards the 9.9 OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) was really 12.5 and the larger jets on the carb provided the gas and therefore extra horse power to give you the 15 HP. Naturally they charged a lot for the extra HP. The 115 and 140 were the same thing. I would if the displacement is the same and the asperation is the same I would not be suprised if JD did not do the same thing. Who is going to sue if the engine is 32 HP rather than 30 and then the pump is just turned up to give you 35 Hp for example.

View my Photos
Art White

2006-10-02          135623

Speaking of outboards! I'm looking for a used one for my Jon boat and have been looking at those but haven't checked the specs although they often are advertised as you stated. How many more are there like that version? ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2006-10-02          135633

They are charging 1000's more for the same reason that car manufacturers charge 1000's more to add power locks and windows when all that is needed is the motors and buttons (wiring and computer programming etc is already there). The fancier models cross subsidize those with fewer options. In this case as KW correctly points out they added a turbo and made some injection changes etc, if memory serves the block and bore of the 4300 and 4400 are the same.

I think of it this way, it makes it easier for me to stomach - you are not paying for the actual engine block, but rather they way the designers harness work from that block. Clever or more complex designs require more effort and resources, therefore they are more expensive. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-10-02          135640

Art, I can not really comment on the new outboards as I don't have the parts catalogs anymore. In the old line even the V6 had the same thing where the difference between the 150 and 175 was just carb jets. I think Deere with the differences in the Yanmar engines being slight ie less than 5 HP, I would guess that you could gain the 2 or 3 Hp just adjusting the pump and the power of the lower HP engine is likely higher than rated. It is unlikely that they would build different pumps to make a couple of Hp so the engines are likely identical except for the tuning. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-10-04          135700

Interesting enough about the injection pumps there are some that you could get an extra 50 to 100 horsepower with little more then a screw driver a few years back. There are other makes you'd be luck to get 10 horse out of no matter what you did without sending it to a shop! Some we actually were able to get close to three times the original horsepower out of as long as you added larger fuel lines and injectors as well as turbo. Today most of them are made so there are basically NO adjustments at the dealer level to keep them in compliance with EPA standards. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login