Go Bottom

need motor for my 317

View my Photos
hipcatmacdaddy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-03          75840

Hi Guys!
Anyone have any suggestions as to the best replacement motor for a JD 317? Of course price, durability/quality, matters. If possible a direct replacement.
thanks in advance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

need motor for my 317

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-03          75841

kolher has a several engines that will fit in the 317. Some just drop in others need works to make fit. Try www.smallenginewarehouse.com They seem to have the best prices. I got a couple of friends with 317 with 16 to 24 hp kohler engines in them. Also try www.weekendfreedommachines.org the unoffical web site for john deere tractor from 1963 110 to 1992 430. ....

need motor for my 317

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-03          75842

John Deere sells an Onan 18 hp Repower Kit to replace the Kohler 17 hp engine. The part # is BM16724 (I bet it ain't real cheap either) The part # for the replacement Kohler 17 hp engine is part # AM100765.

Northern Tool has them for $1865.

You might check with these guys for a replacement engine. ....

Link:   click here

need motor for my 317

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-03          75844

From the prices I found, the Onan engine looks to cost about $1500. That is still not very cheap but much less than the Kohler and the far superior engine in my opinion. Onan is a subsidiary of Cummins Diesel.

Here are some examples of Onan engine prices and units that might fit your tractor. If you would like, I can price you a Repower Kit from my contacts at my Deere dealer. He gives me very good pricing.

Link:   click here

need motor for my 317

View my Photos
Steve from Sharon, M
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-01          81816

my 1979 317 engine passed on this past December right before a 30" snow storm- I ended up buying a Kohler 18HP made for the 317 replacement from www.smallenginewarehouse.com it was around $1300.00 & was not that difficult to put in- I had a neighbor help- the motor mount templates comes with no directions & I messed up on 1 side by not reversing it but once figured out was ok. You also have to cut a hole in the grill to fit the exhaust which comes with. It has been running well since & has an oil filter & different air cleaner that can be bought at Home Depot or a Kohler distributor. It also has the electronic ignition now- great since I bought points,condensor& wires for the 317 right before the engine started to leak oil. They were used for 20 minutes or so.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login