Go Bottom

4200 Hard Start-Please help

View my Photos
rbkuconn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-01          99637

I've had my 4200 for 4 years <400 hours-it is an excellent machine!
One minor irritant-When it sits for more than a couple of days it acts like it is out of fuel-I crank it several times (20-30 sec. each), let it sit for 2-3 min. it starts and runs perfect. I'll tell you what it is NOT...fuel, fuel filter, air filter, battery, safety switches, injector pump...
What I think it is...fuel shutoff solenoid...anyone agree or have the same problem or other ideas?
My local J.D. mechanic is a nimrod (sorry!)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-01          99643

RB, it sure sounds like the injectors are leaking down into the cylinders.

When it does start, does it blow whiteish-grey smoke, miss, run rough or have limited power for a few minutes?

If the injectors are not leaking it could be several other things, pump bleeding pressure back to the tank, etc., but the injectors are the usual culprit.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-01          99651

Some where you are having the system bleed down. Murf,s suggestion could be right. You should be able to hear the electric solenoid kick in and out or you can on most tractors some by just feeling the pump when you turn the key on and off. Air will leak in even though the fluid will not leak out to give you evidence of a leak. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-01          99673

Easy to check fuel shutoff, just get to where you can see the injection pump and find the shut off. turn the key to run position and see if it moved. If it moved it should start. My cummins did the same thing and needed a new one. My 4300 did it today and started 3rd try just perfect. maybe a bleeddown, listen for fuel pump. If it runs, give it 30 seconds to prime and try. JD is self priming. ....

View my Photos
rbkuconn

2004-11-02          99700

Thanks for the input all-
Additional info:
When it starts, it purrs like a kitten, it has never sputtered, or belched unusual smoke.
I did try one additional thing-I closed the fuel shutoff valve near the fuel filter on last shutdown, thinking it would prevent any bleeddown-N.G.
I am going with the fuel shutoff solenoid.
Any idea how much this little gem costs? ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-02          99739

Today when I was driving my 4300, I realized something. How can the machine bleed down, where would it go. If your deere is like mine, the fuel tank is higher than the engine. If it is a bottom feed, there is a constant head pressure, preventing a bleed down. If it is a top feed, it still can't run back to the tank. So there is one possibility that isn't. I wouldn't replace the shutoff until I wd-40'd it. My other yanmar got stuck off 4 years ago. I lubed it and have not had a problem since. Let me know how you make out. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-11-02          99750

Do check the solenoid. Have someone else work the ignition switch so you can be by the pump to hear or feel the solenoid work. The injection pump is mounted on and driven by the engine. Many injection pumps do have seals that when leaking could leak the fuel into the engine. This would give you high crankcase levels when checking the oil. When geting into high leak situations on high use units they often notice a leak from the crankcases from being over full. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login