Go Bottom

JD 455 and Woods GT60 Tiller

View my Photos
kml990
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-01-21          150484

Hello all,
First off, Great forum! Looks like a lot of experience here!

I recently bought a Woods GT60 tiller (used) and am having second thoughts about even trying it on my JD 455. It was sold as a 48" on "that auction site" but grew to 60" by the time I picked it up.
I have a CAT 0 3pt. that as near I can figure is rated at ~500lbs. The tiller is listed as 513 lbs on the woods web site but 180Kg (396 lbs) on the tiller itself. I'm concerned that this is a bit much for my little garden tractor. The Rear end is a TuffTorq K92 rated by the manufacturer for ~1850 lbs static load. My tractor weighs ~1000 lbs and I have 200 Lbs of suitcase weights on front and ~140 lbs of liquid/wheel weights on each rear tire.

The 455 has a 3 cyl Yanmar diesel rated at 22HP (18PTO) My soil is fairly heavy clay but I have a single bottom plough and a set of disks that I've been working it with for a few years now.

I would really like some opinions on whether this is asking too much of this little GT.

Thnaks for any help you can give!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-21          150493

Kml990,

I'm using a 60 inch tiller on my Kubota B2100. My engine is rated at 21hp, with 17hp at the PTO shaft.

This tiller is actually a bit bigger than my tractor is rated for, but I bought it for use on a tractor I owned previously.

The 60" tiller works fine on my tractor, so long as I don't use it for breaking up old sod, or in packed soil. If you've been plowing this land for a period of time, it should work fine for you. Just go slow and let the tiller do the work.

Joel

View my Photos
kml990
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-01-21          150523

Candoarms,
Thanks for the reply! I think I'll try it out as soon as the ground thaws out a little! ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-21          150528

Kml990,

I wouldn't worry too much about the power factors. The main issue, in your case, is going to be the weight.

It's difficult to determine the weight on one of these things, unless you're good with fulcrums and levers. Using this method, the measurements won't be exact, but they'll turn out very close.

You simply need a 2"x12"x10' board -- a round 2" diameter pipe to be used as a fulcrum -- a solid concrete floor -- and a known amount of weight, such as a bag of cement (90 lbs).

When you move the bag of cement further from the fulcrum, it should eventually lift the tiller off the ground. Take a measurement of the distances the items are located from the fulcrum (balance point) and then perform the ratio figures.

If you placed the tiller one foot from the center of the pipe, and the balance was achieved when the bag of cement was 5 feet from the fulcrum, then you'll know that your tiller weighs ABOUT (5 x 90) 450 pounds.

It's not an exact figure, due to issues dealing with exact centers of the weights involved.....but it will get you close.

My grandfather used this method when loading building supplies onto a roof, with a forklift. As the foreman on the construction site, it was his responsibility to know that he and his men would not be endangering themselves by exceeding the design limitations of the structure.

Hope that helps.

Joel ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login