Go Bottom

New Gator XUV Brakes

View my Photos
t1956bird
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-04-26          141574

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum.

I have a new Gator XUV. I love it except for the brakes. I think four wheel disk brakes should stop quick. I cannot slide the tires in dirt, it seems to take forever to stop. I haven't tried going down the hill on my property fully loaded. I'm I the only one that noticed this? Thoughts?

Rich in Colorado

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New Gator XUV Brakes

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-04-27          141578

Rich; I took a test drive the last week of March at the dealership, I did'nt notice any lack of brake ability, but can't say I tried to slide the wheels. The HPX I traded in seemed to have adequate brakes so I would expect the XUV to be as good or better. Has the dealer tried to correct it for you? I was so impressed that I traded on the spot. My dealer called this week to say that mine has been back ordered twice with a new delivery date of May 15th. He said they have been selling like hotcakes. Welcome to the form, and best of luck. Frank. ....

New Gator XUV Brakes

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-27          141587

I think the key is in the original post itself.

"I have a new Gator XUV." New brakes are too smooth and shiny to make a good stop often.

Try taking some very fine emory cloth on a sanding disk and a cordless drill to the rotors and put a very fine swirl on both faces of them. Also very slightly roughen the pads themselves.

I did this on a brand new "other" brand buggy and nearly launched myself out over the hood afterwards. The difference was night & day.

Best of luck. ....

New Gator XUV Brakes

View my Photos
t1956bird

2007-04-27          141589

Yes it is new. Wouldn't you expect the brakes to work "out of the box?" The dealer (salesman) is looking into the problem. His regional rep told him that the brakes need to be heated up. A few panic stops to seat them in. I did that, bleed the brakes, really no help.

I have a 1928 Ford Model A that stops better with orginal style drum brakes. Wouldn't you expect the Gator to win a brake contest with a 79 year old?

I expect the brakes to slide in dirt, at least. Maybe I'm to critical. I sure do love everything else about that Gator.

Rich in Colorado ....

New Gator XUV Brakes

View my Photos
12racing

2007-12-05          148990

i have a new xuv and i am not impressed with the brakes either. i had a hpx that was stolen this summer so i replaced it with the xuv. the hpx was a great machine i think it was more powerful than the xuv, better handling, and much better brakes. i am not normallly a critic but the xuv seems heavy and sluggish compared to the hpx. i have a noise in the front differential, and a recall on the brakes. ....

New Gator XUV Brakes

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-12-05          148995

12racng; Your assessment of the XUV really surprises me. The HPX we traded on our XUV was a good machine, but the XUV we got in May of 07 is a far better machine in every respect. Steering ease, power, ride quality, top speed, fuel injection, etc. The new one already has more hours since May than our HPX did in three years. The brakes have always seemed more than adequate. The only problem we had was a transmission fluid leak that was fixed under warranty. Frank. ....

New Gator XUV Brakes

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-12-05          148998

t1956bird,
Where are you using the new Gator? The salesman should have told you right off the bat that those brakes will not work very well at any altitude above 5000 feet.

New Gator XUV Brakes

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-12-05          148999

Okay, so I'm just kidding about the altitude thing. On the serious side, I have two HPX's now, and although I think John Deere could do much better with this machine, I have never had a braking issue like you are describing. I also had an older 6 wheel model. When I didnt feel like using the brakes on that hunk of steel I would just point it at a tree. ....

New Gator XUV Brakes

View my Photos
t1956bird

2007-12-06          149010

Well I didn't do anything to the brakes and they started working after about 50 hours. No I didn't change the altitude! The dealer keep telling me that they would check and call me back, never did. I now have about 140 hours on it and everything is working fine. I think it is interesting that some people have the problem, others don't. Are these things make in two different plants?

Brakes are a big deal here. I still don't think you should have to rough-up the brake disks on a brand new unit.

Rich in Colorado ....

New Gator XUV Brakes

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-12-06          149011

t1956bird; glad to hear the brakes are working now. We are kind of flatlanders here so maybe brakes aren't as important as in Colorado. Poor in Iowa. ....

New Gator XUV Brakes

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-12-06          149012

t1956bird; I really don't know where they build the Gators. Frank. ....

New Gator XUV Brakes

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-12-06          149028

t1956bird,
Where in Colorado, what dealer? ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login