Go Bottom

Deere Gator will not shift gears

View my Photos
cloudypass
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-12-29          149713

I am not able to change gears using shift lever. Gator is stuck in "forward." Seem to have a lot of play in shift lever.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-29          149717

Not familar with Gator trannys but sounds like you have a broken shift fork. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-12-29          149718

Cloudy; What series Gator do you have? Give us more info and we'll try to help out. Frank. ....

View my Photos
cloudypass

2007-12-29          149724

Frank: Gator is 5 years old and gas powered with six wheels...4-wheel drive. Thanks for your interest ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-12-29          149730

I fought a problem like this for about two years on a 6 wheel Gator. There are two nuts on the end of the shift rod which can be moved to make adjustments between your forward, nuetral, and reverse. (Look under the plastic housing behind your hand brake.) If one of those nuts loosens, or in my case comes off- your stuck. Mine had worked itself loose going forward-reverse for plowing. I screwed up the threads pretty bad and to make a long story short- eventually bought a new rod. ($40 I think.) I wish I would have done that the first time I tried to fix it. If you have the same problem, this is a very easy fix. The hardest part was getting the f***** plastic piece of s*** off the top of the assembly durring 15 degree weather while the machine was stuck in the snow. Of coarse my dumb a** had to learn this lesson many times before I ordered the new part. By the way, re-tapping didnt work for me. Neither did lock tite. Niether did cursing. ....

View my Photos
cloudypass

2007-12-31          149760

Discovered the problem...the coupler attaching the shift rod to the arm of the transmission broke. No need to remove the plastic housing just below the shift rod and the brake. The coupler is easily accessed by raising the bed. Until I get the new coupler I can "manually" shift gears by moving the arm just above the transmission...rather inconvenient but it will do in a pinch.
Thanks for all of your help ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-12-31          149762

I'm glad you found it. I swear, Gators were not meant to be worked on- but in your case it sounds like you kind of lucked out. My old 6 wheeler had an electric powered dump bed which sometimes required me to revove the bed to get to the engine if the problem I was having was electrical! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login