Go Bottom

No Reverse on Egator

View my Photos
wilsonb33
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-04-25          153257

The reverse has stopped working on my Dad's E-gator. I took it to the John Deere Dealorship, but they were not familiar with it. After keeping it several weeks they think it is the Motor Controller, but were not sure enough to install it as it costs about $1200. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

No Reverse on Egator

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-04-26          153269

I never till a few days ago here on TP that an E-Gator ever existed, so I can't help with your problem, but I'll relate a somewaht similar situation. Sometime probably in the early 80's my parents neighbor had a fully electric riding lawn mower, I have no idea what brand it was. It seemed to work fine for a few years then the batteries and cables went bad, it had I think eight deep cycle marine batteries. The man took it to the dealer and had all the battereis and cables replaced, as I remember it was like 8 or 9 hundred dollars even back then, but it again workrd fine. it would mow for a couple hours on a charge, but not in very tall grass. From there on I lost track of it so I don'nt know how it worked from there on. Anyhow, perhaps an electric motor shop could help you, the controler is likely a stock item that is used in other applications. Enjoy your day. Frank. ....

No Reverse on Egator

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-04-26          153270

I know almost nothing about electric vehicles so there are a lot of guesses in this post. My guess is that it uses DC motors since DC-AC conversion is inefficient and expensive. If that's the case forward and reverse might be selected by switching polarity to the motor. This can be done electronically or through relays. The motors have to be reasonably powerful, therefore they would use high current. High current is probably switched through relays. So if you can find a schematic you might be able to find out what relays are involved and check them with a meter. If they are good then the motor controller or connections to it would be the next place to look. That's a lot of guessing :)

No Reverse on Egator

View my Photos
oregonpharmer

2008-04-30          153351

As much as I hate to say it, most John Deere dealer repair facilities are not equipped with folks properly trained to deal with the electrical issues on the E-Gator.

Contact you local golf pro shop and ask for a reference to a good independent electric golf cart repair technician.

The controller is the problem, and it can generally be rebuilt or exchanged for around $400. Double that if you need someone else to take it out and reinstall the thing. A good 20 minute job for anyone with a few tools. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login