Go Bottom

Electric lift for cargo 6x4 gator

View my Photos
parafire
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-08-17          156150

Is there a cheaper lift for this than $650 or parts to rebuild the lift?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-08-18          156172

I know what you are dealing with because I to overloaded one of that style lift and it doubled the worm shaft over. Yes a new one is pricey, but fourtunately I got mine straightend enough to work. Try your best to straighten it you got nothin to loose. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-19          156178

If you are needing such as Hardwood mentioned, it may be possible you have a small machine shop even a hobby person who can make you one at a lower price. kt ....

View my Photos
jbjpam
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-19          156181

I made my own lift for about $150. I used a power trim pump from a boat. Found one on eBay for $50. The OMC style fit the best. A 1 1/2 bore cylinder from surplus center. Surplus also had the hoses a relay and push button to activate it. It was pretty simple. ....

View my Photos
jacoblong

2009-01-26          159849

to jbjpam: I see that you made your own lift for your gator. My dad has a 2004 trail gator 4x4 hpx and was wanting to know more about the parts you used, such as open and closed length and wanted to know more about power trim pumps. I could measure the cylinder lengths myself, but my gator is currently being stored at the family cabin in Northern Pennsylvania. Dad can't afford the john deere parts and he won't physically be able to manually lift the bed soon. If anyone else has an origional deere lift, could you please make some measurements for me so I can build a unit and install on my next trip east. Thanks ....

View my Photos
jbjpam

2009-01-26          159851

I dont have this gator any longer. And I am not sure what your newer Gator looks like but here are is some of what I remember....
Go to ebay and look for "power trim pump" These are the pumps that raise and lower the prop out of the water on a boat. The small OMC brand works well. It is a 1200 psi pump. I got mine for $35 but they usually sell for $100 or more. Then go to surpluscenter.com and find a small hydraulic cylinder that fits. 1 and 1/2 inch bore I don't remember the stroke. Maybe 8 inches?? you can also get all your fittings,hoses, relay and electrical switch there too. Longer grease gun hoses work well too. The cylinder bolts right in. the pump was mounted at the far left rear under the bed. I had to drill 2 holes. it was tight but it fits. with a few mechanical skills it should not be too difficult. If you need some pictures of the mounting let me know and I will email them to you. Good luck, John
(jbj @jbjpam.com)

View my Photos
jacoblong

2009-01-26          159854

Thanks. Sure, pictures would be great!! According to JD, our gators lift option was a hydraulic one which means it would have mounts on each side. That might mean that I would go with two smaller cylinders instead of one, but I'll deal with that when it comes. Thanks again. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2009-01-27          159861

If you are only lifting a short distance like 8" was mentioned, another completely different approach is purchasing one of those electric motor powered scissor jacks that runs off of your cigarette lighter for about $70.00. I use one of those for all sorts of portable lifting applications. I also have one of those battery jumper boxes which also has the cigarette lighter outlet. I would guesss this concept could be used to mount beneath the box frame and provide the necessary lift. ....

View my Photos
jbjpam

2009-01-27          159868

The old 6x4 was a single cylinder / center lift. I think the newer gators are a double lift. But I am not sure. As far as the electric screw type I was not able to find a strong enough one to fit into the tight space. Also, I took off the old bed and built a larger one to go over the tires and 10 inches longer out the back with removable sides to haul wood and larger amounts of dirt. Fully loaded with dirt I think I was dumping about 1800 lbs which is over the stated capacity.
I put some pics in my profile ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-01-27          159869

The original 4 X 4, and I'm sure the original 6 X 4's had an electric screw type lift. I overloaded mine on a 4 X 4, it doubled the screw over like a jacknife, end of that hoist. A new replacement from Deere was even at that time was an obscene price. I don't know if they will interchange but the HPX and XUV's have an electric over oil hoist that is more substantual. Frank. ....

View my Photos
jbjpam

2009-01-27          159871

You are correct it is electric. I used the generic term cylinder. However I have seen aftermarket hydraulic units. Not sure if it was A/O but the price at the time I was looking did not let me look at it long. I think with a little thought a person could put together something on the newer models pretty cheaply and robust. Its a pretty simple application. Just need to find the right pieces and parts. ....

View my Photos
ben10987

2009-05-10          162640

Hi,

I just bought a used Gator Turf from my wife's uncle.

I would like to add the same setup for hydraulic lift on the dump box as jbjpam.

My only question is this: Is there enough resevoir in the tilt trim pump? Or would it need another tank for when the cylinder is all the way down? Are these little pumps hard to wire up or straight forward? I have hooked up other things with relays and switches so I'm not too worried.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ben

View my Photos
jbjpam

2009-05-12          162690

You won't need another tank. The oil that is leaving the cylinder is recirculating back to the pump. Heat of the oil would be the main problem if you were continuously cycling it but that is unlikely.
The wiring is very straightforward. There are only 2 wires at the pump. The pump is reversible so the positive and negative power is reversed in the switch that you use. Kind of like a pendant control for a hoist with an up and down button. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login