Go Bottom

modifications

View my Photos
jayulzvern
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-01          158979

hello guys,
so ive got a gator 4x4 hxp and was wondering what i could do to make it a little faster? either/both acceleration and top speed.

anything out there that really wont hurt the thing?

TIA

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

modifications

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-01          158980

I'm no gator 'xpert but taller tires on anything changes speed and gearing.

If you're curious about speed, measure the circumference of your existing tires and the measured top speed. (technically you need to measure the rolling radius to get an accurate measurement if the tires tend to squat any)

Then increase the potential maximum circumference of a tire that a) fits and b) available. Calculate the percentage difference from the old tires to the new.
Apply that percentage to your existing speed and that is your new speed.

BUT---remember, taller tires when not going porportionately wider stance/track increases roll over, and reduces low-end power but increases braking ability.

And wider offset rims to gain wider track cause more bumpsteer, makes it harder to steer, and is bad for the bearings.

And going fast by itself can wreak havoc on the frame and suspension if it's marginally designed to survive a certain speed. Exceeding that can cause cracks and lead to breakage and/or catastrophic failure. And speed will reduce service life of brakes.

But I'm jis' sayin'... ....

modifications

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-01          158981

There wouldn't be enough room for a taller tire under the cargo box to be of much help. My XUV will run on the plus side of thirty, and to me that is plenty fast. As EW eluded to they weren't meant to be a speed wagon, but more of a plow horse type machine. I don't know about other insurance carriers but our carrier still considers them a farm machine not a recreational machine because of their restricted speed ability, so no special insurance is required. Frank. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login