Go Bottom

loss of power

View my Photos
wrongway64
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-01          158994

i have a john deere gator 4x2 does anyone know how to tighten the drive belt, could a loose belt cause loss of power

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

loss of power

View my Photos
gatoraider
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-02          159000

Many things could be wrong, here are a few. Is the belt guard/brace between the motor and transaxle in place and secured properly with 2 bolts in the motor and 1 thru bolt in the transaxle? The bolts in the motor break off alot which lets the motor and transaxle get closer together on acceleration, thus making the belt looser. I've also seen this condition bend the frame slightly which leaves the belt loose all the time. Your primary clutch spyder could have worn rollers. After a time, use will wear large flat spots in the rollers and cause the clutch to up shift late causing a power loss.( kinda like taking off in second gear )This condition also robs engine power. Are the buttons, on the driven clutch that rest on the helix, all there and functional? A missing button or two could cause the driven clutch to bind and rob engine power. Lots of times a new belt will help you take off in a lower gear simply because it is wider and catches the clutch sheaves quicker and starts the forward motion at a lower belt/clutch diameter ratio. An old belt could look as wide as a new one but they wear on the inside edge first, turn them inside out and compare. A good way to tell if you need a new belt is if, when you are coasting down a hill and the clutches unload while you are still moving at a good speed the belt is getting narrow and could use a new one. The Gator should be almost stopped before the clutches unload. In summary you need that brace between the motor and transaxle. If it's not there and you get one and it doesn't fit you have a bent frame. Good luck. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top

Share This

Member Login