Go Bottom

John Deere Gator 6 x 4 wont run

View my Photos
serviceguy1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-02-28          160695

I have a 2005 6 x 4 air cooled, just got it at auction. never was able to start except starter fluid sprayed in carb. Rebuilt the carb.(lots of gelling going on) and still the same. Replaced plugs, fuel filter (twice), drained and cleaned fuel tank. seems to fill fuel filter quickly while cranking but still will not fire unless starter fluid is sprayed in carb. Any help would be great! Has electric solinoid on bottom of bowl?? If inop. is that my problem?? Thanks for the Help. Bob

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-02-28          160696

After starting it with fluid does it continue to run? ....

View my Photos
serviceguy1

2009-02-28          160697

no, it wont run on its own ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-02-28          160700

If there's fuel to the carburetor then my guess is then either the carb is still messed up or the engine has very low compression. ....

View my Photos
serviceguy1

2009-02-28          160701

Thanks, will check compression in the a.m. and let you know. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-02-28          160702

After rereading your original post I missed the electric solenoid part. Not sure what that does, so can't rule it out. Maybe it closes to prevent fuel from draining into the crankcase when the engine is off? When you cleaned the tank did you refill it with very fresh fuel or fuel that's been stored for six months or more? Some of my engines (esp. Hondas) won't start or run on fuel that is more than ~two months old unless it was treated with Stabil.

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-03-01          160703

I've never worked on an air cooled 6x4 but I know HPXs have a shut off solenoid on the carb to prevent run on after the ignition is shut off. The solenoid pulls a plunger back when the ignition is turned on allowing fuel to flow into the carb. To check yours, unplug it ( hopefully it is plugged in to start with, because it won't run if it isn't plugged in ) and stick a test light in the plug and turn the ignition on, the light should light. If it does, your solenoid is bad, if it doesn't, you have to check that wire and find out why it isn't hot when the ignition is turned on. If the wire isn't hot, try a jumper wire from a 12V source to the connection on the solenoid and see if your gator will start that way. I think solenoids are about 150.00 for an HPX. Cheap way to fix is cut the end off so it can't go into the fuel passage when shut off. I'm not recommending that, but it would get you going until you could get a solenoid. ....

View my Photos
serviceguy1

2009-03-01          160705

The fuel was fresh, unlike the stuff that was cleaned out. will keep working on it and keep you posted. Thanks ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login