Go Bottom

gas in crankcase

View my Photos
bjhutton
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-04-26          162325

My gator usually starts and runs pretty good but sometimes when going about 2/3 speed it dies. If you let it sit for about 20 seconds you can start it up again. Sometimes it will do the same thing again and sometimes it might run for 1/2 hour. We pulled gas hose off carb. and had fuel pressure but the fuel pump hardly ever shuts off.
The oil is thin & smells like gas. We replaced the needle valve in the bowl to see if that would help but the fuel pump runs constantly when the key is on. I squeezed the fuel hose with pliers but the pump still kept running. Thanks for any help you can give me. Bob H.
We have had to change plugs every few hours to get it started.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

gas in crankcase

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-04-26          162327

BJ; Which model Gator do you have? ....

gas in crankcase

View my Photos
bjhutton

2009-04-26          162329

Hardwood I think it is about a 2000. The serial # isWoo6x4x024590 if that helps any. I appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks Bob H. ....

gas in crankcase

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-04-27          162335

BJ, 6X4 fuel pumps don't shut off, when the key is on they are on. The needle and seat slow them down, or stop flow. There is no circuitry to shut them off.I wonder if your seat is bad. You should be getting gas out of the overflow tube if the bowl is overfilling. And if you are getting enough gas in the motor to fowl the plugs you should definately be getting gas out the overflow, unless it is coming in the right way ( main jet size too big or air intake restriction ) Are you sure it is gas fowling the plugs and not oil? Have you tried changing the oil and monitoring it? Also when you change plugs do they both look the same? Have you tried a hotter heat range plug? It seems that the only thing that would let too much gas in a motor is too large of a main jet. What main jet is in it? I think the largest they had was 87. Too cold heat range plug would also give this kind of problem. Also check your air filter for restriction. Any of these conditions should make it run rich with black smoke, and it probably wouldn't clean out totally when it was running. ....

gas in crankcase

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-04-27          162337

(Gator: I'm just yanking your chain so don't get all bent outta shape, 'k?)

"Are you sure it is gas fowling the plugs..."

Hmmm---I'm wondering what size fowl---chicken, goose-- could be getting in there.

OOOOOH you mean "foul" as in "messed up". Ah-ha! ....

gas in crankcase

View my Photos
bjhutton

2009-04-27          162338

Thanks gatoraider. I will try some of your suggestions & let you know ....

gas in crankcase

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-04-27          162339

Earth, you know I thought it looked funny, but I was worried about circuitry, and it was early. Thanks for the help, I need all I can get. ....

gas in crankcase

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-04-27          162347

BJ, we have a Gator probably 2 or 3 years newer than yours. It is one engine that does not like gas to sit in over the winter. If so it better have gas stablizer in it, mixed properly or the next time used a real problem. ....

gas in crankcase

View my Photos
bjhutton

2009-04-27          162359

Thanks KT. I always put stabil or seafoam in our equipment for their rest period in the winter so I don't think that is a problem. I am open for any other ideas you may have. Thanks again Bob H. ....

gas in crankcase

View my Photos
bjhutton

2009-04-27          162362

Hi Gatoraider. I tried some of your suggestions---
Both plugs looked the same-very black & dirty and smelled like gas.
No gas ever came out of the overflow tube.
We changed oil,oil filter,air filter & plugs.
THis all seemed to help a lot. It ran much smoother, had more power & seemed to shift better but when I turned it off it backfired. The old air filter was pretty black on the inside. I will try it for a couple more days & see if it gets any better. Thanks Bob H.

gas in crankcase

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-04-28          162365

Bob, since there was nothing coming out the overflow tube everything was probably working right. Sounds like a bad air filter clogged up your intake passage and it may take awhile to get it clear. Typically, run on after you shut it off, is needle and seat or elevated rpm at idle, but you probably have some unburned residue in there, caused by the rich condition, that will clean out with use. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login