Go Bottom

Is my new gator working correct

View my Photos
hardchines
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-06-05          163213

Just got a 1999 (I think)Gator 4X2,sticker on Gator says "this unit was used in the 1998 Macy's Thanksgiving day parade", Gator runs perfect,had 560 hours two weeks ago when I got it and now has 582 hours, I love it. I never operated a gator before and know no one with one, so I do not know if it is working correctly. When I step on gas unit will start to move at a high idle and go up a steep hill with a small amount of throttle, so far so good. This is what concerns me, as I step on the gas the engine revs more and more but no apparent speed change until I mash throttle and wait a few seconds, then the pulley's must start to change position and the gator goes on up to about 20 MPH (or close to it). Is this delayed acceleration normal, feels like belt slipping but will climb a mountain at idle, and gets up to top speed in 100 feet. Belt looks good and is wide and is just above top of secondary pulley, are you supposed to lubricate the pulleys or weights inside of pulley assm. ? Thanks for any help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-06-05          163223

Have no hills here but trying to think on ours it probably operates about the same. There does seem to be engine speeds where it does not change travel speed as much as engine speed does. The load on the machine either due to weight or ground will affect it quickly.

It is amazing to me how many questions there are on Gators. I wonder why that is. In thinking on this I guess our has given us as much question asking as bigger machines or more complicated ones. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-06-05          163229

You are pushing your Gator with a 10 hp motor thru a centrifical clutch and belt system and there is bound to be some weak spots. One that shows up most often in the 4x2, probably because of the lower horsepower, is the drive clutch rollers. Rollers roll up flyweights inside the clutch,as rpm increases,and squeeze the sheaves together to change the gear ratio. It is important to keep these rollers lubed. Deere has a Teflon based product called Superlube and that is what you should use. If these rollers aren't lubed they will slide up the flyweights instead of roll and this robs power, which is in short supply. The outside bell has to be removed. It's tight, but can be done while on the motor. Also make sure all three plastic buttons are in place in the driven clutch. They ride on the helix angles and are visible on the back side of the clutch. One or more missing will cause the clutch to operate on an angle and bind up. This will rob power also. ....

View my Photos
hardchines

2009-06-06          163251

Thanks for the help, I will pull the bell off and check it out. ....

View my Photos
hardchines

2009-06-08          163317

Well I pulled the bell and I found the three small rollers you spoke of, all three were stuck and had a large flat spot where they have been sliding up and down the arms. I hope I can pull the rollers and make new ones, I removed the bolt in middle of clutch hoping the spider assm. with the rollers would come loose but this is not the case, any advice on removing the rollers? ....

View my Photos
gatoraider
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-06-09          163323

You need to go to your friendly John Deere dealer and borrow a clutch pulling tool to remove your clutch. Once you get it off you need a clutch repair kit that has a tapered piece that goes in a vise to hold the clutch while you remove the spyder. Probably takes 400/500 ft/lb torque to get the spyder unscrewed. Once you get the spyder off, you can knock the roller pins out of it and remove the rollers. You will find a paint dot on a spyder arm, mark the clutch tower next to that arm so you can put it back together the same way, it is balanced. You can't buy the rollers separate, that would be too easy, you need to buy the spyder with the rollers in it. John Deere is like that, you know. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login