Go Bottom

Gator burning oil

View my Photos
foxfarmboy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-09-29          166048

My Gator is burning oil and fowling plugs. If I run it for a few hours it could run out of oil. Does this sound like a cylinder problem or a carb problem or a gasket somewhere? We just replaced the engine block for the same problem they said the cylinders were worn out. This machine is a 2000 or 2001 Trail gator 6x4 with kawasaki motor. I am not a mechanic but the mechanic didn't fix it so I am looking for help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Gator burning oil

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-09-30          166054

Obviously a replacement block shouldn't be burning oil like that. Valve seals could cause it, but not to that extent. If it's fouling plugs, oil is getting into the cylinder. And since you are running out of oil, that shoots the gas theory. There's not much left after rings and seals. If your replacement block was new or rebuilt, I think you have a beef with the guy that did it. ....

Gator burning oil

View my Photos
foxfarmboy

2009-09-30          166063

That's the problem. The mechanic who did it works for himself and I'm sure won't stand good for it. I wonder if the rings just didn't seat there is probably only ten hours on it since the replacement. What would you do? ....

Gator burning oil

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-09-30          166066

The guy probably doesn't have the right equipment to do the job. He probably ran a brake hone thru the cylinders, put the rings on and let it go. The cylinders in those motors wear an oval shaped spot in them. If yours was bad to begin with I'll guarantee he didn't take enough out of it. I've seen motors that wouldn't clean up at +.020, and that is as big a piston as you can get for them. I'm sure your motor needs to be bored .020 if it was smoking to begin with. When I do them I run them for at least 2 hours but they don't smoke at all, so your having 10 hours on yours isn't the problem. A good stock motor will clean up and if you can get a true cylinder with less than .0045 piston to wall clearance you can use the original pistons. Deere says you can go to .006 but I wouldn't put one together with more than .0045. I know oversized piston sets are over 300.00 each with rings and pins. Plus you have gaskets, seals and labor. That's just the reality of it. I don't know what you paid, but if you add it up you would definately be over 1000.00 to do it the way it's supposed to be done. I don't know what to tell you, I think I would show the guy that did it how smokey it is and see what he has to say. ....

Gator burning oil

View my Photos
foxfarmboy

2009-09-30          166070

We replaced the block and it came with new cylinders. He used a cylinder hone that mounts on a drill. I remember because I bought it for him. That small block was around $1500. Man I hate to spend more on it and it not run right it sure has been a good vehicle. Iv'e got a spray rig that mounts to the bed and we built a roll bar that has two rear facing seats on it. My kids learned to drive on that little rig. I can't imagine parting with it. Thanks for the advice I am sure I'll vist with you soon especially if we get it figured out.

Gator burning oil

View my Photos
foxfarmboy

2009-09-30          166071

One thing I do remember when it still had the break-in oil in it I checked the oil after running it hard for probably an hour and gas was mixing with the oil. The air filter was pretty dirty so I attributed it to that. It never smoked until this last go around and doesn't smoke very much but smells really rich. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login