Go Bottom

Clutch or belt

View my Photos
Bwing96
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-02-07          168448

'04 Gator HPX 4X4 was in the woods yeterday and went through some water that was about up to the floorboard and it started to slow down so I gassed on it and wheels didn't spin,speed didn't increase but rpm's did.
Was my belt slipping due to the water or is my clutch bad ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Clutch or belt

View my Photos
pugwash4
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-02-07          168452

sounds like water on the belt. did the problem go away ....

Clutch or belt

View my Photos
Bwing96

2010-02-07          168454

I never gassed on it when it wasn't in the water and just in the mud to see if it would attempt to spin the wheels or just rev up. Guess I need to try that next time out. If this thing won't stand any more water than that I need to sell it. ....

Clutch or belt

View my Photos
pugwash4
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-02-08          168460

i guess the hpx done not have the clutch encloser on it . i have a xuv 850 and that does not have one and i maybe able to hit 20 to 30in of water. sorry to here that it cant do what you were hopeing for you can gain some by putting bigger rims and tires on or look in to the encloser

Clutch or belt

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-02-08          168463

To me there are two other things to consider, "04" possibly your belt needs replacing due to wear and the water is enough to show that. Second one is our's will not spin the wheels either unless it is bogged. Could it be there was a good load mud and water being pushed and thus it should have slowed down?

Clutch or belt

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-02-08          168470

We all buy different things for different reasons, but I never thought of a Gator as a stump jumping, river crashing recreational machine. Over the years I've owned every series Gator except the three wheeler and the electric model, all of them for the most part better than the series before. My only reason for owning the Gators other than an occasional spin around the block on a hot summer afternoon to cool off was for farm related work use.
For recreational use I don't consider a Gator to be in that class, that's best left to the machines that were designed for that use only. ....

Clutch or belt

View my Photos
Bwing96

2010-02-08          168477

Clutch or belt

View my Photos
Bwing96

2010-02-08          168478

The belt was put on back in July if I remember correctly.
We've had a lot of rain here in Louisiana this winter and expecting more tonight and again later this week. The water was in a low area around the edge of a pecan orchard In which I was riding and was about 30 ft across.
I bought this machine used to spray mosquitoes in yards during the summer months and it works well for this. Excellent payload capacity and large cargo box. With it being the HPX model I thought it might be geared a bit more toward a hunting vehicle also but it looks like I'll need a second side by side for this. ....

Clutch or belt

View my Photos
pugwash4

2010-02-09          168484

my main reason is excellent payload capacity and large cargo box as well for firewood and yardwork. but i do like to spend some time out on the trails. like you said we all buy different things for different reasons and i think of gator more then a farm tractor they are very hardy tuff and well built. ....

Clutch or belt

View my Photos
dwdaboll

2010-10-15          174594

I had the same problem with my XUV 850D. I am putting together a class action suit against John Deere for not notifing consumers about the problem. Anyone intersted in getting some or all of their money back regarding the belt slipping on the JD diesel Gator? Email me. The diesel version of the Gator does not have a protective shroud that is on all other units and JD refused to fix mine Please contact me @ dwdaboll1117@yahoo.com ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login