Go Bottom

6x4 fuel problem

View my Photos
spyder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-02-20          168718

I've just finished rebuilding an old 6X4 which was in pretty bad shape. I've just finished the last bit of restoration which has been to rebuild the engine with new rings, bearings, etc. Only one thing is keeping it in the shed now - fuel is pouring out of the vent pipe on the carburettor, and will also pour out the air filter. The float valve looks to be in good condition, likewise the seat. If the outlet of the fuel pump is blocked, i.e. finger on it, the pump will keep on pumping.
In the opinion of you knowlegable Gator experts, is there a problem with (A) the fuel pump, or (B) the float, or (C) something else that I've overlooked?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

6x4 fuel problem

View my Photos
gatoraider
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-02-20          168721

I've seen fuel pumps that pump too much fuel, but not many. Fuel flow should be 3.5 ounces in 15 seconds. Deere has low limits on pumps, but no high limits. There is no stopping a fuel pump when the ignition is on, so it's normal for it to keep going when you put your finger on the end. That brings us to the needle and seat. You said both look good. Make sure the walls of the seat are clean so the needle doesn't hang up. Take the carb off, remove the bowl and turn it upside down. Check the angle of the float in relation to the sealing surface of the bowl. If the float dips down noticeably at the end away from the seat, you need a new needle valve, M95924. Over time the tang on the float will wear the top of the needle to the point that it isn't long enough to close the hole and gas leaks by. Some are worse than others. ....

6x4 fuel problem

View my Photos
spyder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-02-22          168741

Thanks for the help. It turned out to be a worn patch on the tang of the float. I very carefully applied some heat and managed to successfully bend the tang about a quarter of a millimetre - problem solved.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login