Go Bottom

Grinding Gears

View my Photos
btwill
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-17          169320

Saw earlier post regarding grinding gears on a Gator. Same problem here, have slowed idle as low as I can. still grinds going into gear. Here's something of interest, If I cut the motor off and immediately restart, then it does not grind when I put it into gear. My local JD dealer says there is no adjustment and grinding is a fact of life--my gator only started this within the past year. Any bright ideas out there?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Grinding Gears

View my Photos
gatoraider
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-03-18          169326

It's something on the input shaft of the transaxle. Shift collar, tang on the shift arm that goes into the shift collar, the gear and bearing set that the shift collar meshes with, or ???. It will be evident when you get in there, you have to split the case to find out. ....

Grinding Gears

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-03-18          169327

Just had another idea. All your shift linkage connections have to be tight. No sloppy loose ones. Nuts have to have good tension on the springs and the jam nuts on the shift rod that goes into the transaxle have to be tight ....

Grinding Gears

View my Photos
btwill
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-18          169329

Thanks, I'm going to get into it the next rainy day! ....

Grinding Gears

View my Photos
AllisMan

2010-03-19          169367

Sounds like the primary clutch on the CVT is not completely disengaging the belt. Clutch may be sticking. Good luck finding a new one as Hoffco/Comet is out of business. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login