Go Bottom

AMT 626 quits when hot and will not restart

View my Photos
bluebm3w
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-03-30          169646

Hi all,

I have an AMT 626 with the Kawisaki FE290D engine. Recently while running at idle and full speed it dies and will not start back until cool. I have already replaced the coil and plug and have cleaned the carb. I was wondering if the ignition module that sits on top of the engine case could case this problem?

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-03-31          169648

Yes it could and that's where I would go next. ....

View my Photos
bluebm3w

2010-03-31          169659

Gatoraider thanks for the quick reply. One thing to note, when my AMT died I took the ignition module loose and pulled it out and away from the engine case to see if it would start, no go. Then I noticed it was self grounding, so I held it to the engine case and it fired up. This led me to think it was a bad ground, so I made a new ground wire and led it from the ignition module to the primary ground on the engine case from the battery. It started up nicely then. But, I was out in the yard yesterday and it was at idle and it died and would not start back, so I guess the ground didn' really help. Also, the insulator on the bottom of the ignition module looks great, and I also fashioned a 1/16" thick piece of rubber to put between the insulator and the module to help block out the heat. I guess the module could not be completely bad yet but on its way out. What do you think? ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-03-31          169663

I think a new module will fix it. It's the stator, the module, or the coil. Stator is very unlikely. My experience is when coils go,that's it. So Iam thinking module. I've replaced a few, definately more than coils. ....

View my Photos
bluebm3w

2010-03-31          169665

Thanks gatoraider. Yea I already put in a new coil, so I guess I will try the ignition module. Hopefully that will fix it. Would a bad module cause my AMT to run ruff at part throttle? When I depress the throttle a little when in gear and the motor is under load it seems to sputter, but when it gets up in the rpm's it smooths out. Does the module control the timing and fuel? It has been sputtering and back-firing for about 5 seconds after I turn it off. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-04-01          169668

I think you put a new module in it and see what you have. Module has nothing to do with fuel, but can cause other problems. Sounds like you could have ignition and/or carb problems too. ....

View my Photos
bluebm3w

2010-04-01          169670

Ok thanks. I am going to pick up my new module this morning. I will let you know the outcome. Thanks for all your help. ....

View my Photos
bluebm3w

2010-04-01          169674

Well the ignition module did the trick, runs like new!! Gatoraider, do you know anything about adjusting the brakes on this model? They have relatively new pads, but it is a little difficult to stop. Although, my hydraulic lift reservoir was leaking on the right caliper so I got that fixed and I am going to spray it down with some brake cleaner. That may make a difference. IF you do know any adjustment techniques I would appreciate your input. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-04-04          169712

Lost your last reply in the shuffle. There are thumb screws or adjusting wheels, whatever you call them, along with an equalizer down on the brake pedal. Pretty much self explainatory, you want the equalizer to be at a right angle to the cables when you apply the brakes. If you run out of adjustment, you can loosen everything there and go back to the calipers and tighten the hex screw on the side behind the movable pad until the pads almost touch, then go back up front and finish. The pads and disc have to be clean and dry. Hydraulic oil is not good. ....

View my Photos
bluebm3w

2010-04-04          169730

Ok, so I may have to take the plastic cover/gaurd off of the pedal assembly to be able to adjust the equalizer and thumb screws. Also, my hydraulic reservoir was ok, the bolt at the bottom kept coming loose and letting fluid slosh out from around the main upper o-ring. Put a little aluminum thread lock on it and no more leaking. I am assuming the fluid was causing the bolt to loose its grip. I will give the brake adjustment a try, I may have more questions. Again, thanks for all your help. ....

View my Photos
bluebm3w

2010-04-06          169800

Gatoraider. So I took the cover off of the lower brake pedal assembly and found the equalizer and thumb screws. I pushed the pedal and the cables are not being pulled equally. So I went to the calipers and tightened the pad adjustment screws all the way till the pads were touching the disc. Then I went back up front and adjusted the thumb screws to be the same. Then went back to the calipers and loosened the adjustment screws back off the disc. Then when I checked at the pedal the cables were still not pulling equally. Do you think uneven pad where could cause this? Thanks. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-04-06          169812

I'm thinking that you get it as close as you can and the equalizer handles the rest. Essentially it is putting the same pressure on each cable because of the equalizer, even if it's crooked. It is a primitive system and if the brakes work at all you are ahead of the game. There are many 600, 622, and 626 AMTs around with little or no brakes. Thats why everything in the system needs to be as close to perfect as you can get it. ....

View my Photos
shannonbrown

2010-04-19          170137

my husband is a mechanic and we are having trouble with our gator it is doing the same thing as the previous person..we replace the coil and went to the local john deer store to get an igniton module and the part he gave me is small in size kind of looks like a key... we were told is to be replaced right on the top but we cannot find it. the part is about the size of a quarter and has a single wire tab to connect. can you help? it just quit and will not start after replacing that coil..no spark and we know about a dead battery thats not the problem ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-04-19          170138

If you didn't have an ignitor on your motor to start with, you probably have a newer motor with the ignitor in the coil. That would explain why it won't start now. You have a coil that needs an ignitor instead of a coil with the ignitor in it. If you can take the coil and the ignitor back and get a coil with the ignitor in it, that's the thing to do. If you can't, then the black wire coming from the coil is the wire that the ignitor connects to. Connect a wire into the middle of the black wire and put a spade connection on the other end and connect it to the ignitor. The ignitor mounts on the carb linkage plate. The plate dips down from the two bolts that hold it to the motor and the ignitor mounts in the one threaded hole that's on the flat part of the plate. It should run if you hook it up that way. There is an insulator that goes under the ignitor to shield it from engine heat, I don't if the dealer gave you one or not. ....

View my Photos
shannonbrown

2010-04-20          170179

we have the coil where a black wire plugs into it, and also we have an ignitor but cant find where to replace it! the local dealer ran our vin # and they are saying that motor calls for an ignitor but we cannot locate it. we took all the sheilds off and still no luck..could it be under the fly wheel? ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-04-20          170180

I'm gonna try one more time. If you read my last post it says that the ignitor is on top of the motor mounted on the carb linkage plate which is secured to the top of the motor with two bolts. Obviously you don't have an ignitor if you couldn't see it on top of the motor. Just because your dealer says you have an ignitor doesn't make it so. If you had an ignitor there would be a Y in the black wire coming off the coil and that wire would go to the ignitor. Check the three wires, two green one black coming out from under the flywheel and make sure there isn't a splice in the black wire, if so that's where the wire to the ignitor goes. If the black wire doesn't have a splice in it and you want to use the parts you have ( coil W40449 and ignitor M119146 ) you have to cut the insulation off the black wire somewhere out over the top of the motor, attach another black wire to it and attach the other end of that wire to the ignitor. The ignitor mounts where I said in my last post. So you have the black wire attached to both the coil and the ignitor. Don't cut the wire going to the coil, ( it goes to the ignition switch to shut the motor off ) just attach the wire going to the ignitor to it. I'm sure this will work. If you don't want to do all that you need a coil PN M126972, they have the ignitors in them. That's probably what you had in the first place. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login