Go Bottom

Rough running 4X2

View my Photos
mdhomes
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-04-06          169803

My Gator has driven smooth as silk for 10 years. Routine maintenance has served me well. Recently while driving along at a cruise speed of 5mph it coughed and slowed to a snails pace. With full throtle it would not accelerate past 10' per minute. I replaced spark plug, removed and cleaned carb, cleaned with compresses air. Checked fuel and pump for proper operation all ok. While it does start it will not rev to max rpm. It sort of boggs down at full throtle. Any suggestions for repair would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rough running 4X2

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-04-06          169804

How about the fuel filter? Air filter? Also did you take the carb apart? Main jet and tube out, air jet out, air screw out, needle out. Sometimes the main jet gets build up and has to be cleaned with a tourch tip cleaner. All jets and orifices should be cleaned with carb cleaner thru the small nozzle provided with the can and blown out with compressed air several times. ....

Rough running 4X2

View my Photos
mdhomes

2010-04-06          169806

I did change the fuel filter and air filters. I think I did a good cleaning job on carb. I will pull it off and clean again. I did not remove air mixture screw.I am sure it has to be fuel system. It sounds like you believe the same. Thanks for the wisdom and encouragement! ....

Rough running 4X2

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-04-06          169811

When you get it back up, run it and play with the choke and see if it helps or not. That could tell if it's gas or spark. ....

Rough running 4X2

View my Photos
mdhomes

2010-04-07          169818

Removed carb and cleaned again. Reassembled with no change in operation. Played with choke, choke works as it should. I am stumped! I had previously replaced the spark plug with no change in operation. Is there anything electrical that might be happening? This motor ran perfect and died while running at 5 mph. Thank you in advance for any further input. Best, Kevin ....

Rough running 4X2

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-04-07          169820

While you are running or trying to accelerate, pull the choke out some and see if you can get it to run better or worse. If you can control the running with the choke there is a good chance it is fuel, if not, it could be electrical. Is there a small silver ignitor on top of the motor? It has a black wire going into it. ....

Rough running 4X2

View my Photos
mdhomes

2010-04-29          170427

Just a follow up note. The new champion spark plug I purchased was defective. This was the cause of the problem. Thanks for you help. ....

Rough running 4X2

View my Photos
SSAAD01

2010-07-23          172529

Someone Please Help. I have a early 90s Gator 4x2. I was riding and it was like someone fliped a switch. The Gator died and was really hard to start. Now it cranks over but does not want to start. I replaced the plugs 4 times. I purchased a new ignition coil and still the same problem. I took the carb apart and cleaned it out with carb cleaner. I can get it started but while driving I have to keep my hand on the choke in order to accelerate. The choke my be in a certain position inorder to start or run. ....

Rough running 4X2

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-07-23          172531

I'd try an ignitor. Silver 1" square box on top of the motor with a black wire going to it. ....

Rough running 4X2

View my Photos
SSAAD01

2010-07-28          172660

Gatoraider, you seem to be a very helpful resource on this site. Thank You. I was just wondering if you know where I can get Tie Rod ends for my 1992 4x2 gator. The dealer wants too much for them. Do you know if there are after market tie rod ends that would fit. Thanks for any help you can provide. ....

Rough running 4X2

View my Photos
dozergator

2010-08-02          172762

My 4X2 Trail Gator, has been acting strange lately. One of my friends was driving it, and when he came back he said it only went 6-10 MPH. I checked and sure enough, it was running slow. After checking out the engine i couldn't find anything wrong. I was wondering if someone might be able to help me, the Gator starts fine, but drives very slow. Please help me, thank you. - Dozer ....

Rough running 4X2

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-08-03          172771

If everything seems to be working fine, I would start with a new drive belt. ....

Rough running 4X2

View my Photos
dozergator

2010-08-03          172802

Sorry for not posting earlier, it seems the rear torque converter plastic pieces have wore down and broke after 750 hours of riding, but thank you for your help and answer. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login