2010-05-14          170786

4 x 2 ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

gator won t shut off

View my Photos
gatoraider
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-05-14          170787

The way your Gator shuts off is the ignition switch grounds the black wire that, along with two green wires, goes over the motor and down behind the flywheel. That ground wire is white coming out of the switch and turns to black at the engine wiring harness. So take your hood off and start it up and ground the white wire coming out of the switch and see if it shuts off. If it does your switch could be bad, if it doesn't you have an open condition in that wire. Possibly the plug on top of the motor is loose. ....

gator won t shut off

View my Photos
silphil

2010-05-14          170788

Thanks for the info. will try it tomorrow ....

gator won t shut off

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-05-15          170793

I've been thinking about your problem and before you do anything, unbolt the ground wires that go to the top of the motor, clean all the terminals, and put it back together and try it. That will get you started in the right direction. ....

gator won t shut off

View my Photos
silphil

2010-05-17          170882

I can ground the white wire at the switch and kill it. I bought a new switch and it does the same thing ....

gator won t shut off

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-05-17          170884

The ground is bad from the black wire going into the ignition switch to the main ground. Did you remove and clean the ground wires on top of the motor? The ground wire you are concerned with goes from the switch to the diff lock light on the dash, then to the parking brake light, then to the harness connection for the headlights and then to chassis ground. Do those lights work on your dash? If you can't find the problem, go to the double black wire in the headlight harness, splice a wire into either wire and ground the other end. That should work. If that doesn't work, splice a ground wire directly into the black wire going into the ignition switch. ....

gator won t shut off

View my Photos
silphil

2010-05-17          170892

I did clean the ground wire on top of the motor that didn't help then I ran a ground wire to the black wire on the switch.that solved my problem . Thanks for all the info was a life saver at least helped my blood pressure thanks again Phil ....

gator won t shut off

View my Photos
Grandpa

2011-03-19          177457

I have a similar problem on my 2003 4x2. When I turn off the ignition switch, it takes about 4 seconds for the engine to cut off. I installed new switch, installed a ground wire as mentioned above, and removed and cleaned the ground at the engine. None of this has helped. It never fails to shut off, but takes about 4 seconds. My brother's gator doesn't do this, so I assume it is not normal. Can anyone help me?
I have one other question: Is it possible to clean the filter that is inside the fuel pump? Sometimes my machine won't start. It is not getting gas. I can put 2 or 3 drops of gas in the cylinder and it will start and continue running. I have installed a new fuel filter.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

gator won t shut off

View my Photos
gatoraider

2011-03-19          177460

Unplug and plug your connection to the engine half a dozen times. Should be three wires, two green one black on top of the motor. ....

gator won t shut off

View my Photos
Grandpa

2011-03-19          177463

Thanks gatoraider. I'll try that tomorrow.

Grandpa ....

gator won t shut off

View my Photos
Grandpa

2011-03-20          177483

gatoraider:
I tried it. Didn't work. Still takes about 4 seconds to shut off. The connection was very dirty. The previous owner did not keep the machine clean. I cleaned the connection very good to make sure of a good contact. Tomorrow I will remove the front cap and recheck the ground wire that I added.
Also still have intermittant problem with starting. Have good spark but no gas to cylinder when it doesn't start. But sometimes it starts fine. I replaced the inline fuel filter. The tech manual that I have been able to see (TM1518) mentions "check fuel pump filter". Is there a filter inside the fuel pump? If so, how do I check it?
Also, how do I check for an "air or vapor lock in fuel tank and lines"? Sorry for all the questions. If the gator was a 55 Chevy, I would feel more at home checking things. ....

gator won t shut off

View my Photos
gatoraider

2011-03-21          177484

Two things left. Unplug the harness that you were just working with, connect a jumper wire to the black ( middle ) wire coming out of the motor. Start the motor and then ground out the other end of the jumper wire to the motor and see if it shuts off immediately. If it doesn't, your problem is behind the flywheel in that black wire that plugs into the coil. If it does shut off immediately, I would make up a ground wire and run it from the ground lug on top of the motor, where the battery ground is, to somewhere on the frame. Make sure you are down to bare metal on the frame. There is a small round screen in your fuel pump that gets plugged up, just blow carb cleaner on it until it gets clean. ....

gator won t shut off

View my Photos
Grandpa

2011-04-14          177962

I finally got a chance to try some things. Connected jumper wire to the black wire. Grounded to the motor and the engine stopped immediately. Hooked up a ground wire from engine to frame. Still takes 4 or 5 seconds to go dead. I think I have good connection, but I am going to re-do the set-up to make sure. Also, I have been asking around here, and have found one other Gator owner whose machine does the same thing. His has been taking about 4 seconds to shut down for over 2 years. I guess when mine doesn't shut down at all, I'll do something, but for the time being, I'm just going to live with delayed shut down.
Also, I haven't seen any posts about the fuel shutoff solenoid on the carb bowl. I found out that this solenoid was the reason my gator would sometimes not start. I found that a sharp tap on the solenoid (with the switch turned on) would free the plunger in the solenoid, and then the engine would start. I removed the solenoid and cleaned it, but the problem persists. JD wants $81 for a new one. I can do a lot of 'tapping' for $81.
Thanks again gatoraider for all your help!!!! ....

gator won t shut off

View my Photos
PvtMatter

2011-07-07          179300

Grandpa don't know if you got your answers or not but here is some info. The fuel shutoff solenoid valve is a normally closed device, that is the plunger is out when the engine is off thus blocking the flow of additional gas. When 12v is applied, starting the engine and in the run position, the plunger is retracted allowing the gas to flow. A defective solenoid fails in the closed position thus potentially cutting off the flow of fuel. I said potentially because in my Gator, the valve was defective but still the engine would run. I found the valve too expensive to replace ($147 or so) so I removed it and replaced it with a plug. I personally am comfortable using the key to shut off the engine.

On another subject the 2004 and 2005 Gators have EPA mandated main jets, in the bowl, way too small thus depriving the engine of the necessary fuel for optimum performance (stumbles at full accelerator pressing). A solution is to increase the diameter of the jets from .023 to .033. You will have to do this yourself as the dealers will not perform the service. ....

gator won t shut off

View my Photos
Grandpa

2011-07-07          179316

PvtMatter: Thanks for the info. I haven't even cranked my gator in at least 3 weeks, and probably won't again until September. It's way too hot to be riding unless it's absolutely necessary.

Grandpa ....

gator won t shut off

View my Photos
Grandpa

2013-06-01          187152

Thought I would post an update. My Gator still takes 4 to 5 seconds to shut down after I turn off the key. That's no big deal. Also, I haven't had any more problem with the fuel solenoid. I ran a tank of gas through it that had a good shot of Marvel Mystery Oil in it. I also use a little extra fuel stablizer. I don't get to drive my Gator very often, but it is a lifesaver when I use it. I borrowed a tubing bender and made me a sun / rain shield using metal electrical conduit for the frame. Made a fitted top from a 5 X 7 tarp. Found an oversize (not big truck size) rearview mirror at a yard sale that I adapted to use on the Gator. It is mounted on the driver's side of the wraparound front bumper. Works pretty good, but had a lot of vibration.
Thanks again to all who helped me get through the problems when I first got my Gator.
Grandpa ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login